Print Thread
Hop To
M
maggie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Can someone give me a rough estimate of fillet weight of an average size river-run silver? Maybe a close guestimate for how many pounds of fillets for 1/2 dozen silvers. Last time we were up, we got our limit of river silvers, and did well on a halibut/lingcod trip, and came home with @ 80#s of fillets total, but I didn't really pay attention to the weight of just the salmon. Prices on everything have gone up so much that we are trying to figure where we can cut some costs this fall, may not do the sea charter. Thanks in advance.
(Hey Mike, hope all is well with you and family)

"The day I went to work everybody showed up to watch Johnny Luster work. Well, they had a wheelbarrow there, and said I was to push that thing around all day. I looked at it, then turned around and headed for the mountians..."
GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by maggie
Can someone give me a rough estimate of fillet weight of an average size river-run silver? Maybe a close guestimate for how many pounds of fillets for 1/2 dozen silvers. Last time we were up, we got our limit of river silvers, and did well on a halibut/lingcod trip, and came home with @ 80#s of fillets total, but I didn't really pay attention to the weight of just the salmon. Prices on everything have gone up so much that we are trying to figure where we can cut some costs this fall, may not do the sea charter. Thanks in advance.
(Hey Mike, hope all is well with you and family)
What river? Really depends on the size of the fish we’re talking about. 50% of live weight is a rough estimate that will get you in the ballpark.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
When y’all coming up? You the tour guide? 🤣

Never weighed filets, but will guess 3-4 lbs per fish?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The last time we were up in that area ,we set up a lean - to shelter and a bear came in the middle of the night. Luckily my friend was part indian ,woke up and started banging pots and yelling into the blackness. I lost the car keys and had to go back alone and get them from the trunk where the car was . We never caught any fish although my friend got one . He never got skunked.
The fillets on a 5 pounder are about 3/4 lbs. ea. We usually bake the fish except for the head.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
4-6 pounds for 2 fillets off a mature silver 10-12# average sized fish….I’ve seen some fillet jobs where you’d be lucky to get 1 pound fillets from the same size fish. 😂

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

M
maggie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Fishing the Kenai, mid Sept. I was thinking we had gotten around 30#s of fillets from a 1/2 dozen fish, but thought maybe I was a little high for an estimate. Sounds like maybe it was close, thanks for the replies.
You know me too well Mike, we are playing guide again this trip, wife's cousin and husband this time. If you have time, maybe you can guide us to good pizza and beer. smile
Can't believe how much prices have gone up since we were last up, cars, rooms, charters, all have basically doubled, some more-so. Trying to come up with some different plans this trip, to keep costs down, thought maybe two days fishing the river and skipping the sea charter would save some $ and still get us home with a 50# fish box.

"The day I went to work everybody showed up to watch Johnny Luster work. Well, they had a wheelbarrow there, and said I was to push that thing around all day. I looked at it, then turned around and headed for the mountians..."
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Don’t know yet where I’ll be mid-sept. Do you still have my phone number?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Fishing the Kenai, mid Sept. I was thinking we had gotten around 30#s of fillets from a 1/2 dozen fish

Easily doable with a half dozen second run Kenai fish.

M
maggie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks all, for the info on the fish, much appreciated.
Mike, I still have your number, I'll try getting in touch with you when the time is closer.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Silver sizes range wildly, as has been noted... statewide commercial silvers weigh just over 7# average, live weight. Some systems produce far larger, like the Buskin next to the Kodiak Airport. They average double the statewide most years.

A decent knife will yield quite a bit more than 50%. The difference is whether the collars and fins are trimmed. Some also trim bellies...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B3

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I cut and process a few thousand a year. 50% is about right with bellies left on but no collar. A hatchery saltwater coho in SE will only give you 2.5 - 3# of fillet on an average year and those are 5-6lb fish. (5lbs mid july versus 6lb early sept) Best year I can remember was 4# of fillet a coho. On depends on the run of coho though. POWHA fish tend to run smaller as they release piles of them and I think it's just a feed issue. Neets or Stikine fish show up and they are big, mean, and fat.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Those are the "weird salties" Calvin. wink

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I caught a couple on the Buskin that were 15-16# fish.
Most were 12-13#

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
My biggest silver to date was 17 pounds 8 ounces 3 hours after landing it. It was bled immediately….that was caught down here back when our silvers looked more like salmon and less like snakes.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I hope you're booked up already if you want to fish the Kenai in Sept.
That should be prime time to get into some 2nd run fish and I think you'll be happy with the weights of a day's limits.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Fishing the Kenai, mid Sept. I was thinking we had gotten around 30#s of fillets from a 1/2 dozen fish, but thought maybe I was a little high for an estimate. Sounds like maybe it was close, thanks for the replies.
You know me too well Mike, we are playing guide again this trip, wife's cousin and husband this time. If you have time, maybe you can guide us to good pizza and beer. smile
Can't believe how much prices have gone up since we were last up, cars, rooms, charters, all have basically doubled, some more-so. Trying to come up with some different plans this trip, to keep costs down, thought maybe two days fishing the river and skipping the sea charter would save some $ and still get us home with a 50# fish box.
Hmm. There is an idea. Will have to tell the boss to double our charter rate and our pay then also. Grins.

I hear ya on Bidenflation. Its everywhere.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

69 members (6mmbrfan, 358wsm, 10Glocks, 907brass, Algotguns, Akhutr, 10 invisible), 1,398 guests, and 846 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,243
Posts18,485,928
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.