Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Looks good! As we design our new home I’m not doing anything that requires me to have to bend over to work. I’ll be putting in a couple large greenhouses with automated watering and HPS & MH lights. I’m tired of back surgeries so everything in our new place will be setup for the future which means as much simplicity with as little work and discomfort as possible. This next build will be our LAST but at 53 I figure I have another 50 good years left…

Aces, I like your logic. My brother is realizing this kind of logic. He's been looking for a house for about 3 years, but has now decided to build. He's thinking about staying there for the duration, so is now considering wider doorways and no elevation steps from garage and front entrance and so forth.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH

A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Looks good! As we design our new home I’m not doing anything that requires me to have to bend over to work. I’ll be putting in a couple large greenhouses with automated watering and HPS & MH lights. I’m tired of back surgeries so everything in our new place will be setup for the future which means as much simplicity with as little work and discomfort as possible. This next build will be our LAST but at 53 I figure I have another 50 good years left…

Aces, I like your logic. My brother is realizing this kind of logic. He's been looking for a house for about 3 years, but has now decided to build. He's thinking about staying there for the duration, so is now considering wider doorways and no elevation steps from garage and front entrance and so forth.
Watch the details like threasholds . I did a big addition for some folks and all the floor treatments were flush with one another with no strips on the joints . He did not want his wife to trip. A brooken hip is a bad deal.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Alan_C
Originally Posted by local_dirt

Watch the details like threasholds . I did a big addition for some folks and all the floor treatments were flush with one another with no strips on the joints . He did not want his wife to trip. A brooken hip is a bad deal.

LD & Alan…. I totally agree with you both about wider doorways and hallways as well as no “elevation” hazards like thresholds and showers with no obstacles. My wife and I are looking at home designs and while she is interested in the fun stuff I’m focused on the mechanical aspects as well as future practical aspects. I was just talking to her about wider hallways and doorways and no trip thresholds. It seems like stuff that is so far off as to be worth little consideration but I’m a safety conscious guy so I’m planning for our future. Her dad had Alzheimer’s and we eventually had to move him into a secure place because he “wandered”. My wife worries about the genetic aspect of Alzheimer’s but I don’t….not much anyway. I did tell her that irregardless of the things we can’t stop I’m never…ever leaving her side so this home will be able to be easily converted into a secure memory care “facility” if the need arises. I’ll be her caregiver if that’s what the future holds and I’ll thank God that I had the foresight to anticipate every contingency. We’re both very healthy, thankfully, but I’m ready for whatever the Good Lord sends our way! I want a life of convenience as we grow older which means doing mostly only the stuff that we enjoy and minimizing work….something I’ve been lucky to avoid so far. 😂

We don’t eat much processed food as it is but the more we can grow, catch and kill ourselves should aid in growing old gracefully. Not going to the doctor and avoiding big pharma should increase our chances for a long life. Our new home will be a single story with a spacious attached guest house….for whatever. We will be in this new place until our days here are over. We don’t want our children to have to deal with the crap that life down here forces on us. They don’t need to worry about mortgages and taxes and traffic and crime if we build our family “compound” intelligently. They are just beginning their adult lives and I’m gonna make damn sure that they have at least as much fun as I’ve had. 👍🏼

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Looking really good, Fireball. You’ve put a lot of sweat equity into your place and it shows.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Simplepeddler
I have raised bed and wicking buckets.
Have to be somewhat careful of those hugleculture (sp) beds. If the wood is too "new" they can rob the bed of nitrogen. My soil sample showed as much anyway.
This! If doing a hugleculture I'd definitely do some periodic soil testing to keep up on the C:N ratio.

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Looks good Roy.

I've been trying to talk my folks into letting me build raised beds for them because they do not get around very well anymore but my Dad, at 88, is too damn stubborn and would rather fall into his tomato plants...

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
The soil for this garden came from a forest cleanup a buddy was doing when he was carving in an RV park. Very old rotten wood mixed with all the scrapings off the top few inches of the forest floor. It's well past the nitrogen using stage into the producing stage. We supplement the soil every year with all kinds of grass clippings, leaves, mulch, or manure.

I'm not much of a gardener but it's enjoyable.

LOL
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
You'll have to update this thread with pics when everything grows.

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Cool project. Tech tip stick with your manure and chips. Although tempting, adding a bunch of chemie fertilizer will actually go against the mycelium and bacteria magic that you've made there.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by dirt99
Cool project. Tech tip stick with your manure and chips. Although tempting, adding a bunch of chemie fertilizer will actually go against the mycelium and bacteria magic that you've made there.

That's what I was just about to say...

IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

526 members (1Longbow, 160user, 10Glocks, 1936M71, 007FJ, 1badf350, 62 invisible), 2,407 guests, and 1,235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,442
Posts18,489,508
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.