Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
From a post I made in Sept. 2018.

Fascinating info for Ruger revolver lovers

Well, it's fascinating if you're really anal retentive and embrace your OCD. wink

Got a new2me Ruger Security Six a couple weeks ago to go along with a GP100 that I've had for several years. Never cottoned to the 4" GP100 (although it's a great revolver) but wanted something a little smaller and lighter. There was never anything wrong with the Security Six in my mind; a .357 similar in size and weight to a S&W K frame that was tough as a tank, but apparently Ruger wanted something even tougher. Anyway, since I had 5 minutes with nothing to do I measured the two to see how much "tougher" the GP100 is based on dimensions alone - not taking into account the different lockup. It really isn't that much bigger, most measurements only differ by one to a few hundredths, however it is 6 ounces heavier. The weight difference for the full underlug GP100 would of course be more.

The first figure is the Security Six/the second is the GP100

Weight 36.0 oz / 42.0 oz
Height (trigger guard to topstrap) - 3.675" / 3.745"
Length of frame - 4.510" / 4.60"
Topstrap width - .685" / .685"
Topstrap thickness - .230" / .270"
Cylinder width - 1.50" / 1.545"
Cylinder length - 1.62" / 1.610" - the GP100 is actually a tad shorter
Width of frame over the forcing cone - .815" / .825"

As you can see there really isn't much difference, not even a tenth of an inch most anywhere.

I'm sure you're enthralled by all of this, huh? wink

[Linked Image]

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There is a difference in the action design as well but with advancing CRS I can't remember the specific differences. It has to do with the way the mainspring interacts with the trigger or something like that.

Anyway, the Security Six has the same lockwork as the Redhawk and the GP100 is the same as the Super Redhawk.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I bought this one a long time ago. It is "Pre-Warning." It is very accurate. My wife would carry it when she was out taking a hike in the Sequoia Nat'l. Forest at our vacation cabin up in the Sierra. It also rested on the bedside table on her side of the bed at home. She shot it well. I've carried it quite a few times when out camping, hunting, hiking, etc. It's quite comfortable to carry. When I die, a good friend of mine will inherit it.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by gunzo
When Ruger brought out the GP, they must have bragged about being thicker. Smith made an add.

[Linked Image from i.redd.it]

Thanks for posting that. I don't recall seeing that one. I like Rugers, but find that humorous.

I will say, that I think I prefer my wife's 686 Plus, in comparison to my 6 shot GP100. But, if I were going to pistol whip BigFoot or drive tent stakes, I will go with the Ruger.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Thanks for the number comparisons. I have a stainless Security Six that I am still a fan of.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
There is a difference in the action design as well but with advancing CRS I can't remember the specific differences. It has to do with the way the mainspring interacts with the trigger or something like that.

Anyway, the Security Six has the same lockwork as the Redhawk and the GP100 is the same as the Super Redhawk.
Okay, it seems the answers have been lost to antiquity (if 1985 qualifies as antiquity) but I finally found a mention of this difference.

Both revolvers lock at the rear of the cylinder as do Smiths and Colts and most all revolvers.

The Security Six uses a latch which engages the front of the ejector rod like S&W. It uses a single mainspring to power the hammer and the trigger return.

The GP100 uses a separate latch at the front of the crane and separate mainspring and trigger return springs.

I installed an 8 pound Wolff trigger return spring and 10 pound mainspring in the GP100 pictured above and the SA trigger now breaks consistently at 2 3/4 pounds. DA pull is somewhere over 8 pounds - that's as high as my RCBS gauge goes. I dare say it feels lighter with a more consistent pull weight throughout than my untuned K frame Smiths and a Colt Officers Model Match, the latter having a very stacking trigger.

Heresy, perhaps, but I'll stand on that statement. The mass of the GP100 certainly helps in keeping the sight picture undisturbed during the DA pull but I can just hit better with it in DA mode than my Smiths. To keep the Inquisition off my back I'll confess that the Smiths do have a cleaner SA pull with little or no overtravel, the Ruger has lots of it.

Which has nothing to do with a Security Six but I got on a roll here and couldn't stop. wink

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Jim,

If no one else says it, I will. Thank you for posting all of that. I would really like to find a 4" GP100 or Security 6 at a decent price. I have a 6" and really like it, but at the moment I am without a 4" gun. It would be perfect for both load development, velocity testing and range use, as well as some carry. If I ever find a really good deal on one I likely will pick one up.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I used to shoot a lot of the Lyman 358429, 168 bullets. The GP & K frame Smith has enough cyl. length to allow them to be crimped in the crimping groove in 357 cases.
The N frame Smith has a shorter cyl, or did.

OK, got off my dead arse & went down stairs to measure.

GP Match Champion, cyl. length 1.615. Dia. at the rear is 1.546" note I said measured at the rear, because the MC cyl. has an O.D. taper toward the front.

Ruger Security Six(1977 model) 1.609" long, 1.498 dia.

Model 66-5(non-recessed) 1.625 long & 1.450" O.D.

I don't have an L frame Smith but did measure the cyl. length of a friends & it was in the 1.610 to 1.625" range. Dia. N/A.

S
svg250 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
I ended up ordering a spring kit from wolff for the security 6, should be receiving it this week, the gun shoots great as is, but will be nice to lighten the double action pull.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
The springs are all high quality coil type, and should still be fine.

Ever take one of the old Ruger double actions down? Pretty cool how easy they are to completely strip down. No tools needed.

IC B3

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Have both a 4” security six and a GP 100

Benefactor Life Member NRA, Arizona Hunter Education Instructor
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One thing that can really help the double action is to hone the channel that the trigger return spring rides in. I take a tight fitting brass or stainless brush and run it in and out while chucked in a drill, can also use a small dowel with a little 440 sand paper wrapped around it, free chopsticks from the Chinese restaurant work good. It's the most missed area of an action job, but there are always a lot of machining marks in that channel that the spring runs in. Same with the Sp101 and Gp100. Oh, and when putting the trigger guard back in place keep the palm of your hand away from the two halves, the fit is so tight it can grab the skin when snapping shut, ask me how I know. They're great guns, I think I'm up to a bakers dozen in snubbies and 4 inch models in the speed six and security 6.

J
JJF Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I had a 4" GP100 but it felt like an anchor in my hand. Absolutely nothing wrong with it but for me the Security 6 is the epitome of being strong and feels just right. YMMV

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by JJF
I had a 4" GP100 but it felt like an anchor in my hand. Absolutely nothing wrong with it but for me the Security 6 is the epitome of being strong and feels just right. YMMV
Agreed. I have no clue why they felt the need to drop the Speed/Security/Service Six line in favor of a heavier duty gun. My very first handgun, back in 1980, was a snub nosed Speed Six .357 Magnum. Still have it.

[Linked Image]

J
JJF Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by JJF
Agreed. I have no clue why they felt the need to drop the Speed/Security/Service Six line in favor of a heavier duty gun. My very first handgun, back in 1980, was a snub nosed Speed Six .357 Magnum. Still have it.

[Linked Image]
One of the dumbest things I ever did was give my BIL my snub-nosed speed six. That was a great revolver, especially for shooting CCI 38 special shotshells when I was in cotton-mouth territory (which was quite often in my neck of the woods).

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I have a 6" security six that was my father's. Great trigger. Had a custom holster made for it last year for woods walking.

It's good to lead - it's better to lead by example.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a very nice 6” stainless Security Six. Pulling the trigger is like working the handle on a bumper jack even after installing reduced weight springs. I like the pistol, but the trigger needs some work.

Expat

Last edited by ExpatFromOK; 04/29/24.

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

526 members (1Akshooter, 1beaver_shooter, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 01Foreman400, 21, 61 invisible), 2,472 guests, and 1,211 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,454
Posts18,489,678
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.