Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Told my boy find somethin “essential” to do

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Son decided, on my die, he liked partying at FSU better that studying, so two years later he had butkus and I am pretty sure that I had bought about two buildings, with no deeds.. So 8 years later he tuned himself up, on his dime, got a degree and a MBA, on his dime. He graduated upon two years, got his MBA in one year. Odd how real self determination, and spending your own money, works through all that crap.

Tell you this, for a fact, there are dozens of great architectural schools in this country. It is not the school, it is the teachers and whether or not they actually teach their own classes.

“To expect defeat is nine-tenths of defeat itself. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. It is best to plan for all eventualities then believe in success, and only cross the failure bridge if you come to it."
Francis Marion - The Swamp Fox
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
De fugg is a "gap" year?

A year not going to school between high school and college. Some work, some do volunteer or mission work, some just goof off.

Originally Posted by Teal
Originally Posted by Crash_Pad
Skip it. If she is any good at all, autocad can be a very good income and rewarding career without all that expense plus the internship waiting around. Then you are dealing with a class of people in a corner of the market place with its own atmosphere that - to me is unappealing if not toxic. Well, it's dull at least and not very creative. Architectural design is something else you either have a feel for it or you fake it. Residential builders and home owners will keep her busy if she learns the discipline and basic rules of drawing, then perfects her art of clean, clear and easy to read plans.The whole logic of building itself, spans, proportions, standard practice is just as important. Working for a builder directly would be a sound option for learning the practical needs of the industry.

Where I live, architects average 78k a year. Auto Cad designer, 54k.

Get it - averages and location matters but I'd have to think an architect from U of M is doing better than 26 bucks an hour regardless.

How long does it take to pay back the 5 years of lost income plus the tuition expense at that differential?

74K seems awfully low. I pay truck drivers considerably more than that.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Don’t know where this is, but don’t let her attend here.

https://www.geekslop.com/entertainm...-to-school-and-youll-get-smart-they-said

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Skip it. If she is any good at all, autocad can be a very good income and rewarding career without all that expense plus the internship waiting around. Then you are dealing with a class of people in a corner of the market place with its own atmosphere that - to me is unappealing if not toxic. Well, it's dull at least and not very creative. Architectural design is something else you either have a feel for it or you fake it. Residential builders and home owners will keep her busy if she learns the discipline and basic rules of drawing, then perfects her art of clean, clear and easy to read plans.The whole logic of building itself, spans, proportions, standard practice is just as important. Working for a builder directly would be a sound option for learning the practical needs of the industry.

Autocad is a drafting tool.

Most architectural firms use Revit, not autocad.

OP, tell your daughter to get her architecture degree. If she works hard she'll be noticed. What state are you in? You may be surprised of the schools that are desired are more within region than expected.

IC B2

W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
I’ve got a daughter finishing her sophomore year at UNC Chapel Hill. Total costs are around $10,000 per semester. Not too bad considering the education. She will be going to graduate school, which will be on her. I’ll have a son starting as soon as she finishes her undergrad.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Dutch
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
De fugg is a "gap" year?

A year not going to school between high school and college. Some work, some do volunteer or mission work, some just goof off.

Originally Posted by Teal

Where I live, architects average 78k a year. Auto Cad designer, 54k.

Get it - averages and location matters but I'd have to think an architect from U of M is doing better than 26 bucks an hour regardless.

How long does it take to pay back the 5 years of lost income plus the tuition expense at that differential?

74K seems awfully low. I pay truck drivers considerably more than that.

We have quite a few mechanical contractor firms in area, they hire Cad folks. All I've seen seems to require an education to get the gig so tuition and time applies.

WI ave salary

Me

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
You will probably receive more attention from and access to the instructor and a better education in a small classroom in a community college than you would spending the first two years in a major university in huge lecture halls with a couple hundred students and little access to the instructor.

AKislander has a point there.

I took an organic chem class as an undergraduate and there were 5 of us in the class. We were competitive, lectures were essentially at a round table, we all studied together, and the class was actually an entertaining and fun endeavor.

Similarly, our undergrad physics class was blessed with a young but very dedicated professor. There were a couple of fine young ladies present who just simply could not get it. That prof personally spent hours tutoring those two and damn near got ulcers in an effort to get them through. He received a well-deserved standing ovation at the end of his final lecture that literally reduced him to tears.

Progress to grad school at Big Univ, and my committee thought I should maybe do a 500-level 5-hour bio-chem class. I have no idea why, but I was outvoted 5 to 1. Talk about fear, I'd not been in a chem class for 6 years. That was a weed eater course for every pre-med and vet student, conducted in about a 300-seat lecture hall, and more than half withdrew before the finals. Several of us recorded every lecture so we could subsequently refine our notes. Lab sessions were conducted solely by teaching assistants, and about half of those had language issues. Envision today's computer tech support as an example. There was actually a revolt for one of those lab sessions with a full member petition insisting the TA be replaced.

Getting back to that echoing lecture hall, one felt that any raised hand should at least be worthy of a Nobel prize when posing a question in front of such a huge crowd. Once in a while, a stupid question does surface.

Last edited by 1minute; 04/26/24.

1Minute
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Ben_Lurkin
$32k Still seems pretty damned high. Get a As degree at the local community college for 20k and them transfer in. Make sure that the credits will transfer and get it in writing! Colleges love to discount students coursework and make them repeat classes in their campus so they can make more money. They’ll lie to your face about what will and won’t transfer.

That's kind of the route I went. I went to a cheap 2 year school to get my associates RN then to Boise State to get my BSN which was pretty reasonably priced for instate. I would have graduated with even less debt than the $15k I had if I hadn't done an expensive semester in Jerusalem and a semester just for fun in Hawaii.

It was graduate school that put me into some real debt but even then I went to the cheapest of the top 20 MBA programs. So I had a lot less debt than people who did ivy league MBAs but still got a valuable degree at a top ranked school. My grad school was only a bit over $4000/ semester for tuition when the other similarly ranked schools were as high as $40,000 a semester.

I paid off a majority of my student loans within about 4 years of graduating. Then I got another discount on interest for making the first 48 payments on time so my rate dropped to under 1 % so i took more time to pay off the last one.

I was lucky I got my loans before Obama federalized them all because I had some great rates and good incentives to pay on time. Now the rates are always much higher than I had and the feds incentivize the borrowers not to pay them back themselves.

The other day I saw were Biden paid off $250,000 in loans for a 49 year old who spent 9 years in school learning to play violin and has never had a real job so he'd never paid on any of his loans. He just let them grow and grow until uncle Biden used our money to buy his vote.

I tell my kids to seriously consider doing their undergrad schooling at cheaper schools. That if they want a degree from a big name school maybe get a graduate degree at one but only if it's were a degree that has great odds of getting a high paying job like engineer, dentist or Dr. I tell them if they really want to do art, music, social work or some liberal arts degree get a real job and pay their way through but don't take loans to get a degree like that.

There's too many kids borrowing tons to get worthless degrees. If anyone is paying their loans for them it should be the school's that suckered them into getting a worthless overpriced degree not us tax payers.

It just seems so wrong that hard working people that never got to go to school are being taxed to pay off other people's student loans. Especially when a lot of those other people just lived large on loans while partying and getting worthless degrees that contribute nothing to society. Almost as infuriating as watching millions of illegals get more money per person than active duty military members get.

Bb

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
FYI... a BArch is 5 years... not 4.

BA or BS in the study of Architecture is 4 years... but you can't be a license without adding a MArch2.

UVA is famous for this skulduggery.

There are/were only 52 "Accredited" architecture programs in the whole country when I went (1990). Community colleges and "small colleges" are/were NOT Accredited.

Good luck to her regardless.

------------------------------

Internship pay is horrible (3+ years).

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Congrats on having what sounds like a smart and motivated grand daughter

Pretty incredible I think I’m the first to say that on this thread? I dunno, I started skimming pretty quick when people started saying she could skip college and make enough money to have a great life anyway

Despite all of its flaws, a degree from a school like Michigan or USC is going to be worth it for anyone who applies themselves and wants to go into a field with good earning potential. My sister in law is an architect and does quite well

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (16penny, 10gaugeman, 1936M71, 17Hunter, 163bc, 1234, 69 invisible), 2,034 guests, and 1,226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,828
Posts18,496,595
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.