-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What is that crooked line on the bolt body just behind the locking lugs?

That sure is a boatload of crap for a supposably new in box rifle. Color me suspicious.

1Minute
GB1

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I am not aware of any of the big U.S. Manufacturers that Proof test every gun made, they Test fire every one. They MAY or may not do a random Proof test on a limited amount of rifles in a production run. In England and most of Europe, ALL firearms must be proofed at a govt. proof house, not the manufacturer, and are marked with the official proof stamp. U.S. laws do not require proof, I guess the Govt figures if the manufacturer does damage, the Lawyers will get them. The red may be primer sealant blown out by leaking gas around the primer from an over-pressure round. Who knows and Remington will never tell you.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have a Remington 700 BDL that will crater the primer on every shot; even those light cast bullet loads I like to shoot. Much more noticeable with serious hunting load. Upon close inspection of the bolt face it appears someone at the factory did a slight chamfering of the hole for the firing pin. I guess it must have been putting a scratch or something on the face of the primer and they "fixed" it. I can presume it was done at the factory and I bought that rifle at J.C. Penney back in 1981. Just never got around to doing something about it. I have run some fairly stiff loads in that rifle and it has never given me a problem.
PJ

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Remington.

Meh.

LOL
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Reddog, not sure about the other stuff but maybe the red stuff is grease? I just took apart a brand new Glock for a buddy to show him how and they use that red grease from the factory pretty liberally? Who knows, good luck.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 1minute
What is that crooked line on the bolt body just behind the locking lugs?

That sure is a boatload of crap for a supposably new in box rifle. Color me suspicious.
After posting the pic I had to take a look at the bolt. The pic looks like it cracked, it was not. Flash really plays some tricks.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I had an ejection issue with the same model. I had a gunsmith put a M16 ejector in it.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...new-remarms-700-won-t-eject#Post19061363

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
I didn’t notice that line originating from the rear surface of the bolt lug. Interesting.

Remington of old would stamp “REP” inside an oval on the right side of the barrel, just forward of the recoil lug to indicate “Remington English Proof”. I don’t know what pressure they’re subjected to but they were proofed at the factory. Don’t know if the new factory does the same but I would imagine so…

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would guess that red residue is primer sealant. I get that with some military ammo and some brands of factory ammo. The chambering eliminates military ammo, so I guess there some commercial manufacturer using sealants still.

The last time I had brass shavings like that on a Remington 700, the brass was flowing into the ejector, then when the bolt was turned the ejector recess shaved off that bit of brass. Figured it out because the head had a nice shiny circle where it was shaved. Load wasn't hot, so I figured soft brass (Winchester 300WM).

Last edited by ChrisF; 04/30/24.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by louiethedrifter
I had an ejection issue with the same model. I had a gunsmith put a M16 ejector in it.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...new-remarms-700-won-t-eject#Post19061363

Do you mean extractor?

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Is Remington still using riveted extractors? A lot of the late models had primary extraction problems. That requires relocating the bolt handle.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
The red ring around fire pin hole??? uum how about primer sealant??????

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
Is Remington still using riveted extractors? A lot of the late models had primary extraction problems. That requires relocating the bolt handle.
As stated above the Remington rep said it depends on the caliber.
Originally Posted by TA 17 Rem
The red ring around fire pin hole??? uum how about primer sealant??????
Im not confident to say what it is. The flash made it look red. The color looked more copper or rust colored with out the flash.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
They have had their issues since 1962.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 338reddog

Anything with the 'magnum' .532 bolt face still uses the riveted extractor. The rivet on the pictured bolt was a few thou. too high.....the brass transfer was from the case rim.

The 700's and 722's before them have been kicking azz and getting it done in the hunting fields, 'dog towns and informal and formal competition for a long, long time.

Good shootin' -Al

Forbidden Zoner
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
Originally Posted by 338reddog

Anything with the 'magnum' .532 bolt face still uses the riveted extractor. The rivet on the pictured bolt was a few thou. too high.....the brass transfer was from the case rim.

The 700's and 722's before them have been kicking azz and getting it done in the hunting fields, 'dog towns and informal and formal competition for a long, long time.
Good shootin' -Al
I figured that was part of the issue. I thought that the rivet may had held the case up far enough to cause the primer to leak. I may pickup another, if so, I will go with a 7rem mag next go round.

Last edited by 338reddog; 05/03/24.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus

Hear hear!. A few bumpy times not directly related to Rem themselves. Thought the recent closure of the NY plant might cause problems, & if they did arise, not excusable but explainable. Workers pissed or distraught at loosing their job,,,,, not doing their best work? A few more bumps?

The new owners seem to be dedicated & listening. Getting settled into their new digs without a Union telling them how to run their company & the state hammering them at every turn might lead to great things.

We shall see.

1 member likes this: Al_Nyhus
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 222Sako, 219 Wasp, 22kHornet, 2500HD, 54 invisible), 2,375 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,571
Posts18,510,737
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.