-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
OP Offline
A
I have discussed turning this action into a 35 Whelen Ackley with my smith. Have a Remington Model of 1917 that I was going to re-barrel to a 338-06 but he did not want to do it, so I converted my Remington 700 instead. Questions is this; is there a process to removing the barrel from action without making a "relief" cut in barrel, thus destorying it, to ensure the action doesn't get damaged? I would prefer to send original barrel off to Danny Pedersen at Classic Barrel Works and have it re-bored to a 35 caliber vs purchasing a new barrel and having it reamed for the 35 Whelen Ackley. Suggestion? Answers?

Thanks!

"God Bless America and Live Free or Die Hard"
GB1

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
While I don't know the answer to your question, I had a similar experience with a No.4 Enfield I wanted converted to .308. It was a new condition, unfired Mk 2 and I wanted to sell the original barrel and told the gunsmith so. Beyond doing a generally poor job on the conversion, he milled a huge relief cut around the barrel at the chamber area in order to remove it - said it was too tight to get off otherwise.

Beyond being mad, I remember he told me "if you want to sell it, we can braze in a collar, it'll be good as new." While deeming that "good as new" is pretty laughable, it could be an option if you want to use your original barrel - though I would contend getting the barrel off without having to make a cut in the first place is the better option.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
If you have a good barrel vise and action wrench you are good to go. I would send the bare receiver with barrel to Mr. Pedersen and let him take it apart.
Visited with him at the Dallas Safari Club Expo yesterday. A very nice gentleman.

A
OP Offline
A
Thanks for the replies so far....anymore??? ;-)

"God Bless America and Live Free or Die Hard"
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
If you have a good barrel vise and action wrench you are good to go. I would send the bare receiver with barrel to Mr. Pedersen and let him take it apart.
Visited with him at the Dallas Safari Club Expo yesterday. A very nice gentleman.

I'm with Butch on this one. Danny Pedersen is a friend of mine and IMHO he makes the very best barrels available today, as well as the best re-bore work around. He can get it apart for ya.

IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

142 members (79S, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 673, 1minute, 29aholic, 17 invisible), 2,167 guests, and 955 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,758
Posts18,514,936
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.