Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Limbsaver recoil pad and a Past shoulder pad. That is also what I do with a 300 & 375 RUMS.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
Limbsaver recoil pad on the rifle and a Past, ambidextrous, strap on, shoulder pad (from Midway). You can handle some big stuff with those 2, just don't join the "half moon club" (scope bit).

Ditto that here. The PAST pad adds to LOP, mimicking the extra clothing I wear during hunting season. 225g AB and SST @ 2742fps.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I used to stack up the sand bags higher so as I would be sitting straighter at the bench. Didn't want to hunch down behind my 375s but sitting straight allows your body to move easy rearward with the rifle and thus reduced recoil.

Lots of other good tips here as well. Those PAST sissy pads work very well.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Brian
How do you shoot a 338WM off a bench?

recoil isnt bad standing up but is a completely different animal on the bags

Brian, I know that my wife doesn't care for it. She's only good for 8 or 10 rounds from the bench....and prefers less. wink She does real well with the sub-9 lb., none-braked rifle! That said, elk season is getting close, so some bench time for zero re-check is coming soon! memtb

After many years, finally convinced her to use the PAST Recoil Shield. She's turning into a "sissy"! grin

Last edited by memtb; 09/20/17.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I like the flip flop idea.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We have a couple of the PAST pads we keep with our sandbags at our bench. The thin one for wingshooting actually helps a decent bit and often gets worn regardless of the rifle being shot, just because it's not in the way and allows for best focus on making the shot. The thick one is the biggest one they make and is simply too thick and bulky and prone to shifting. The flip flop idea is a good one indeed.

Now with even more aplomb
Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
Try a 378 Weatherby Magnum. You wann talk recoil. Maybe you shoot a 30-06

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I sold my last .338 years ago. Used to keep one in the stable, but at about two pounds heavier than an '06, it seemed that they always got left in the truck. The lightest one I ever had was a Blaser Ultimate. I was much younger, but the bench was about the only place that I ever shot any of mine. I paid attention to what I was doing, but got along with them well. .375 is where the recoil began to bother me from the bench. One range that I had access to had a stand up bench for the big boomers. That makes a big difference with heavy recoiling rifles.

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Close your eyes, Hope for the best!!

A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
I put a Limbsaver on my Abolt stock. Other than that nothing special. I've shot as many as 40 rounds in a session doing load workup. I don't find it that tough to shoot. I actually prefer it to my buddies Rem. model 7 .308. That thing has a snap to it I just don't like.

IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Brian
How do you shoot a 338WM off a bench?

recoil isnt bad standing up but is a completely different animal on the bags

Yes. It is...........

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I use a cheap knee pad on my shoulder, to spread out the enjoyment and avoid bruising. Also try the Pachmayr Decelerator or Remington super cell pad. Use a stock that is very straight and with a wide butt for more pad area. Beyond that, remember the two mantras of big bore shooters:
"I don't want to be cheated out of any of the recoil I paid for."
"I will get the full amount of recoil that I had in mind."

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
Just use 250-300 grain bullets. They shove because of the speed of recoil. 250 grain accubonds are actually pretty nice to shoot. They remind you of 180 grain 30/06. 200-225 grains hit hard and fast.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A bit of cast is a wonderful thing...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
This is how I shoot mine off the bench:

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
As above, holding.

I have a RU77 Tang, slightly modified from factory. Glass bedded, free floated, trigger job, Decelerator pad, Mag-Na-Ported, with a rubber? stick-on cheekpiece to fit my long neck better. The porting reduces muzzle jump about 75% by estimation with an identical, unported rifle. That helps a bunch. It also seems to slow the recoil a bit, into more of a push. Double hearing protection on the bench also helps. Addiitional shoulder padding can't but help, but I don't use it.

I use best accuracy handloads or factory loads of 225 or 250, nothing smoking hot.

I never fire more than 10 at a time. In fact, since I last dialed it in 25 years ago on installation of a new scope, I have never fired more than 4 rounds off the bench to check/adjust zero. And never more than that during the subsequent hunt(s) that season. Usually 2, there. One to droip the animal, and then maybe an insurance shot from a few yards out.

Clean and put away until next usage....

I have '06's that kick worse- one with a 17 inch barrel.

Last edited by las; 09/21/17.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by las
As above, holding.

I have a RU77 Tang, slightly modified from factory. Glass bedded, free floated, trigger job, Decelerator pad, Mag-Na-Ported, with a rubber? stick-on cheekpiece to fit my long neck better. The porting reduces muzzle jump about 75% by estimation with an identical, unported rifle. That helps a bunch. It also seems to slow the recoil a bit, into more of a push. Double hearing protection on the bench also helps. Addiitional shoulder padding can't but help, but I don't use it.

I use best accuracy handloads or factory loads of 225 or 250, nothing smoking hot.

I never fire more than 10 at a time. In fact, since I last dialed it in 25 years ago on installation of a new scope, I have never fired more than 4 rounds off the bench to check/adjust zero. And never more than that during the subsequent hunt(s) that season. Usually 2, there. One to droip the animal, and then maybe an insurance shot from a few yards out.

Clean and put away until next usage....

I have '06's that kick worse- one with a 17 inch barrel.

las, I think you really hit the nail on the head. To be perfectly honest, I don't shoot my 338wm much at all. Don't need to and never had to. There are other rifles that you can practice with, during the course of the year, and still easily make that kill shot during elk season with your 338wm when you need to pull it out and use it. Just make sure it's always dialed in and ready to go:

[Linked Image]

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

BSA, Pretty "sweet" group! If you miss an elk... it's on you, not the cartridge! wink memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Ha ha... That is entirely true my friend...

BSA MAGA
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

653 members (1badf350, 160user, 007FJ, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 1234, 64 invisible), 2,816 guests, and 1,312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,371
Posts18,469,202
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.