-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Bought a set a couple weeks ago. Got to take them to the hills for a few days hunting and figured I'd share my $.02

The binoculars themselves seem well built and solid. Rubber coating was well done and felt great. The focus wheel had great response and was easily adjustable without being too "loose".

Frame hinge stayed put. Never had to adjust the eye span after setting the up.

The optics are great. Nice image, bright, crisp, no noticed distortions. Spent probably 4 or 5 hours behind them this last weekend and they were very comfortable to use.

The eye cups are the only thing I am not stoked with. They are a bit on the loose side. as in easy to turn out and in. They are "indexed" to I think three positions. I'd turn them all the way out and after several up/downs and moving around a bit they would move. Several times a day I'd bring them up and the right cup was turned in a notch. To be fair I was up and over a lot of [bleep] and they were just tucked inside my coat.

Also not the easiest to "get behind" for me. It took a bit to get used to. That is completely subjective and my eyeball sockets struggle with a lot of bino ocular pieces, so can't ding them on that.

I compared them today with 10x42's from Zeiss and Swarovski. The two swaro's were the $1600ish SLC 10x's and the $2500ish EL 10x's. The Zeiss were the Conquest HD 10x's. They run about $1k.

I'm sure the Swaros have better glass, but I couldn't tell. If you had them at dusk or spent hours and hours behind them you may see the difference. For my fairly short comparison and my eyeballs, the optics are a wash. I actually liked the Toric image better than the Conquest HD, but again the difference is so small it did not matter to me. I'd be happy with either optically.

I did like the Swaro ocular pieces better. they seemed more solid in their adjustment.

I liked the focus adjustment of the Toric better than the SLC and it equaled the EL's. Same with the Conquest HD's.

All in all, after comparing them to the three today, they are a great bargain for me and a very nice piece of equipment. If the Conquest or SLC's fit me better and were easier to get a better image with, I was prepared to send the Torics back and try something else.

I'm keeping the Torics.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
GB1

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Also should throw out there they were great to deal with. Went on the website, chat screen popped up, they answered some questions and made a sale. Shipping was prompt and cheap smile

Got a conformation right away and tracking number within a few hours.

Well packaged for those of you that like to video opening boxes. Lol.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I was looking for this exact comparison. I've seen a lot of great reviews on the 8x42. I'm looking for a 10x42 for under $1000. I have a 8x30 SLC that has been upgraded by Sawarovski and I'm beyond blessed with the results. I'm looking for 10x and want to know what folks think on the Torics.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Be nice if the demo pair we keep getting promised would be sent out to some members to try

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I reviewed a 10x42 Toric in RIFLE LOONY NEWS. The optics are very, very close to my pre-Swarovision 10x42 EL, but I didn't have any difficulty with the eyecups, in fact liked them a lot.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Thanks MD, would you agree that they are the best under $1000 10x42 s. I'm asking as I have limited chances to look at the options. Again, I'm set for 8x30

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I haven't seen all the 10x42's under $1000, but sure haven't seen anything better. I like both the optics and build-quality a lot.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MadMooner

Also not the easiest to "get behind" for me. It took a bit to get used to. That is completely subjective and my eyeball sockets struggle with a lot of bino ocular pieces, so can't ding them on that.

MM - I struggle with the same thing in most binoculars. I prefer super-thin outer edges on the eye cups and while I don't use eyeglasses, always use binos with the cups flush - never extended.
Have you ever given that a whirl? For me, the view is a lot bigger and easier – the only tradeoff is bright sunlight from the side in extended glassing sessions can cause some strain.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Guess I never have given that a fair shake. I always run them out.

I'll definitely give it a try though. Thanks!

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I do wear eyeglasses, but exactly where I set the cups depends on the individual binocular. Quite often it's in the middle range--but it's always where I feel most comfortable with the view, the big advantage of adjustable cups with a variation of settings.

John Steinbeck
IC B3

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Thanks MD, I respect your opinions

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Thanks!

John Steinbeck
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Also should throw out there they were great to deal with. Went on the website, chat screen popped up, they answered some questions and made a sale. Shipping was prompt and cheap smile

Got a conformation right away and tracking number within a few hours.

Well packaged for those of you that like to video opening boxes. Lol.

Appreciate the review and kind words MadMooner! Great to hear they have met (and hopefully exceeded) your expectations!

Trevor
Tract Optics
www.TractOptics.com

Use discount code: 24HOUR5 for 5% off your order!
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by 338rcm
Be nice if the demo pair we keep getting promised would be sent out to some members to try

Still in the works, just don't have an eta yet. Have to see where the first scope ended up as it stopped being discussed and passed around....

Trevor
Tract Optics
www.TractOptics.com

Use discount code: 24HOUR5 for 5% off your order!
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TRACT_Optics
Originally Posted by 338rcm

Still in the works, just don't have an eta yet. Have to see where the first scope ended up as it stopped being discussed and passed around....

Thanks Trevor

Let us know when they are available

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (10ring1, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 160user, 51 invisible), 2,069 guests, and 1,369 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,763
Posts18,495,565
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.