Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
T
T
Troy_Tempest,

The TSX is not a TTSX. 140 from a 7-08 is not following directions. Should have been 120 or lighter.

I'm sorry but the Barnes web site list's 120 to 160 TSX loads specific to the 7mm08 and suitable for up to elk. I would have thought a medium red hind and a good solid red stag would have fitted in there somewhere. Maybe you should check before posting.

Have a nice day.

GB1

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I shot a caribou with a 375 RUM using 270gr TSX shot was well over 300 yds shot clean through caribou went few feet fell over dead.. to this day felt a little undergunned for the hunt..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
S

There is a difference between bang-flops that hit bone or spine, and those that hit only ribs. My notes on hundreds of animals indicate rib shots result in far few bang-flops with monolithics than lead-cored bullets, and the animals go farther as well. The difference isn't vast, but it's there.

Thanks for that post John. Saved me that typing.I always get a lot of entertainment of guys posting the bang flops with Barnes,especially when they post photo of a spine shot. Cripes, don' t they think about it. My favorite is of course the double lung, missing the shoulder.Any animal hit dead center thru both the lungs,not too far forward and not too far back is going to run until all the blood stops flowing.They sure are not going to run several hundred yards.Any animal that takes out the spine is going flop. Any animal that has both shoulder broke is going to keel over,but can certainly take another round too end it's suffering.

Any bullet that does it's job to get there will kill and elk and it doesn't have to have a blue tip.

Heck,I could really start an argument by posting a photo of 7x8 bull I took with a180gr Game King that was bang flop.Base of the neck thru the spine. Everyone knows that Game Kings come apart and can't do the job.

Last May I had a double lung, no shoulder, bang/flop with .270 Win firing TTSX 110. It weighed 236 pounds hanging.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
And I had a bang-flop from a lung shot on a pronghorn buck with a 100-grain XLC from a .257 Roberts Ackley Improved. Which like any other "example of one" proves nothing.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Ive had 25 caliber 100gr TSX's pole axe a Pronghorn at over 400 yards with no bone hit, and another the same day with like placement run over 100 yards.

Last edited by BWalker; 11/26/17.
IC B2

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Been running x bullets since the x bullet was here. Much like others went thru the trends along with the pretty blue bullets. I use tsx in my 416
Exclusively. Nosler sent me
A pile of free partitions but my ultra light 416’s recoils flattened all the tips in my magazine and broke lead off. So I stuck with my x bullets. But the recoil will still “crimp” my tips and result is a basic solid bullet when shot. I have recovered them. And with the tips crimping my third shot is always high right, the bullet in the bottom of the mag ends up seated deeper after the recoil of the previous two shots.

As for the effectiveness of the Barnes X bullets? I’ve never seen a reason not to continue to shoot them. But have seen reasons not to shoot bergers/cor-lokts/game kings/etc.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I generally shoot lungs and avoid bone to save meat. I always shoot Monos anymore. I have no preference based on performance on game with different Monos. If I want a deer down where it stands I shoot CNS to get what I want. I have observed high shoulder hits that took both scapula and did not drop the deer with Barnes. Perhaps the most impressive was a fawn I shot with a muzzle loader. Through both scapula, shredded the top half of the heart, the biggest part of the lungs left was only a fist size chunk. When the bullet hit there was a loud, distinct crack of bone. The deer swayed back some and then turned and ran off flagging like nothing had touched it. I could have stuck a shovel handle all the way through that one and carried it out. I have no idea how it managed to run at all.

Dropping them where they stand without hitting shoulders or CNS depends on things that are not easily explainable like the deer above being able to run at all. What bullet you used for that is of little consequence, I just expect they will run some and trying to predict how much is a waste of time. I will say though that there is a difference between a cranium shot and one just below that takes out the brain stem. I have seen enough brain stem shots that there is a pattern. Usually the head drops just after the shot with the body following. After 3-5 minutes it is common to see legs move a little as the muscles run out of oxygen. The lashing around that sometimes accompanies cranium shots does not seem to occur. Like the inability to predict run distance, blood trails are similarly unpredictable in my experience with both lead core and Monos. That I attribute to the fact that I generally shoot to drop blood pressure to zero instantly making it much more difficult to get blood out. A decent bullet will shred enough tissue to plug holes pretty well.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BWalker
Ive had 25 caliber 100gr TSX's pole axe a Pronghorn at over 400 yards with no bone hit, and another the same day with like placement run over 100 yards.

Not a big surprise to me. After wildly different experiences - from great to horrible - with my 7mm RM and 160g X (XLC) bullets on coyotes to antelope, I never considered the TSX to be enough different to actually use them on game. Photos of nearly pristine TSX bullets recovered from animals didn't improve my opinion of the TSX design.

The tipped MRX had a wider cavity and a tip to help initiate expansion. That was enough of a difference that I tried them. Had consistently good results and switched to the similar TTSX when they became available. My hunting group is small (five and less) but now everyone else is using TTSX exclusively and most have done so for several years. No bad experiences with the MRX, TTSX or LRX for anyone in the group.

[Edited to correct the following]
This year we had three (75%) bang-flops on antelope and deer with TTSX and LRX. Loads were TTSX in .308 Win/130g, .300WSM/165g and a .300WM/175g LRX. We also had two runners. The first was an antelope my hunting buddy shot wiht his 7mmRM and a 140g TTSX. It went maybe 20 yards. The second was an antelope that ran about 35 yards after I shot it with my .257 Roberts and a 110g AccuBond. Does that suggest the 7mm RM/140g TTSX or the .257 Roberts/110g AccuBond are inadequate or poor choices Nope.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 11/26/17. Reason: correction

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Watch "140gr TTSX bullet performance issues on Fallow Doe hit twice by a 7mm-08" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/CzUt_Mpwjxo

After watching that video I've come to a couple of conclusions.

One is that the bullet was fully expanded to the base of the cavity. That would be pretty remarkable given the extremely shallow penetration.

The other is that the doe was probably not the first animal or thing hit by the bullet. My guess is that it passed completely through another animal before striking the doe in the neck. That would account for a loss of velocity consistent with the shallow penetration as well as the full expansion.

[Edited to add...]
After watching the video one more time on a larger screen, I could see the second hit was to the right ham. I also read the text below the video,which explained things. This bullet in question "passed through the entire length of the Doe, further damaging the lungs and was recovered from her neck". So, instead of an entrance wound as I previously thought, the neck wound was an exit wound with the bullet base leading the way.

Thought it was pretty strange that a TTSX would have such shallow penetration as my hunting group has never recovered one. Full-length penetration, that I would expect.

[End edit]

If i wasnt concerned about lead in my meat I would never run a mono metal bullet.

False fears. I have never seen any kind of proof, that lead fragments have ever had any detrimental effects on humans. I think the monos are great, when extreme penetration is needed. Otherwise, not so much.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by sbhooper
Watch "140gr TTSX bullet performance issues on Fallow Doe hit twice by a 7mm-08" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/CzUt_Mpwjxo

After watching that video I've come to a couple of conclusions.

One is that the bullet was fully expanded to the base of the cavity. That would be pretty remarkable given the extremely shallow penetration.

The other is that the doe was probably not the first animal or thing hit by the bullet. My guess is that it passed completely through another animal before striking the doe in the neck. That would account for a loss of velocity consistent with the shallow penetration as well as the full expansion.

[Edited to add...]
After watching the video one more time on a larger screen, I could see the second hit was to the right ham. I also read the text below the video,which explained things. This bullet in question "passed through the entire length of the Doe, further damaging the lungs and was recovered from her neck". So, instead of an entrance wound as I previously thought, the neck wound was an exit wound with the bullet base leading the way.

Thought it was pretty strange that a TTSX would have such shallow penetration as my hunting group has never recovered one. Full-length penetration, that I would expect.

[End edit]

If i wasnt concerned about lead in my meat I would never run a mono metal bullet.

False fears. I have never seen any kind of proof, that lead fragments have ever had any detrimental effects on humans. I think the monos are great, when extreme penetration is needed. Otherwise, not so much.

You need to dig a little deaper. There is no argument that lead fragments injested by young children are anything but detrimental.

Last edited by BWalker; 11/27/17.
IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

Not a big surprise to me. After wildly different experiences - from great to horrible - with my 7mm RM and 160g X (XLC) bullets on coyotes to antelope, I never considered the TSX to be enough different to actually use them on game. Photos of nearly pristine TSX bullets recovered from animals didn't improve my opinion of the TSX design.

The tipped MRX had a wider cavity and a tip to help initiate expansion. That was enough of a difference that I tried them. Had consistently good results and switched to the similar TTSX when they became available. My hunting group is small (five and less) but now everyone else is using TTSX exclusively and most have done so for several years. No bad experiences with the MRX, TTSX or LRX for anyone in the group.

[Edited to correct the following]
This year we had three (75%) bang-flops on antelope and deer with TTSX and LRX. Loads were TTSX in .308 Win/130g, .300WSM/165g and a .300WM/175g LRX. We also had two runners. The first was an antelope my hunting buddy shot wiht his 7mmRM and a 140g TTSX. It went maybe 20 yards. The second was an antelope that ran about 35 yards after I shot it with my .257 Roberts and a 110g AccuBond. Does that suggest the 7mm RM/140g TTSX or the .257 Roberts/110g AccuBond are inadequate or poor choices Nope.

There have been cases of TTSX's failing to expand as well. Forum member Brad recovered one more or less intact save the tip missing and IIRC it was not a long shot either.
I have had a 30 caliber 180ttsx exhibit pretty poor performance on a cow elk that lead me to question of the bullet opened up. Never recovered the slug so I can say for certain although the exit woound and intwrnal damage was very slight.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
[
There have been cases of TTSX's failing to expand as well. Forum member Brad recovered one more or less intact save the tip missing and IIRC it was a long shot either.
I have had a 30 caliber 180ttsx exhibit pretty poor performance on a cow elk that lead me to question of the bullet opened up. Never recovered the slug so I can say for certain although the exit woound and intwrnal damage was very slight.

I'm sure it has happened, we just have not seen it. The one elk I took (.300WM/180g MRX @ 400yds) made it about 15 feet and all five deer (three with the .300WM and 180 MRX, one with the .300WM/175g LRX, one with a .30-06/168g TTSX) have been straight-down bang-flops. Every animal my group has shot with the TTSX and tipped X kin have had lots of damage between the ribs, in spite of initial concerns they might not open on antelope. The entrance wound photo I showed for the 175g LRX was anything but a pencil-thru.

Small sample, I know, but a high percentage of bang-flops. If the ban-flop/runner percentages were reversed, I wouldn't consider using the TTSX or its kin.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I believe the LRX expands easier than the TTSX. I have 50 more TTSX loads to use uo in my 300 ultra, then I plan to switch over to either LRX or etips which ever shoots best.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by sbhooper

Lead poisoning is a well understood reality and young children are particularly susceptible. My grandkids rarely eat beef but they do eat a lot of game. If using monos, which perform quite well for my group, eliminates lead in their diet, even minute quantities, I see only upside.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Lead poisoning isnt so much the issue as it takes a large amount of lead to cause it. However, it only takes a small amount of lead to effect cognative development of young children.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Lead poisoning isnt so much the issue as it takes a large amount of lead to cause it. However, it only takes a small amount of lead to effect cognative development of young children.

So that explains ME! smile

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Lead poisoning isnt so much the issue as it takes a large amount of lead to cause it. However, it only takes a small amount of lead to effect cognitive development of young children.

Fixed it for you..... grin

Must have ingested a little lead...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
But you didn't fix effect...

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
But you didn't fix effect...

OUCH!

It hurts when the spelling Nazi is caught!

Touche' !

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by jorgeI

So that explains ME! smile

My freshman algebra classes revealed a number of students who must have gnawed leaded paint from granny's windowsills.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

651 members (1minute, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 64 invisible), 3,228 guests, and 1,280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,380
Posts18,469,532
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.