Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Hey guys!

Happy New Year to you all! I'm thinking of getting a new CVA Wolf .50 cal. ML for use in late season deer hunting. I am from the "old school" as far as shooting the old cap & ball rifles.

Any and all opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance and good shooting in the New Year...!

Brittman

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
My opinion is I'd buy something made in the USA rather than imported.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like them. I too am an "old schooler" and shoot cap locks and flint locks, but I also have on older CVA Hunter Bolt and it shoots great. A couple guys I work with wanted to start muzzleloading and bought the Wolf as beginners. I was shooting theirs and liked them. We were shooting the Lee improved minie and round balls......we were having a blast with 30 gr of powder and a roundball.

Mark

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
i picked one up this fall i like the carbine style and the fact that you can clean the barrel from the breach end shoots fine . didn't get to shoot anything with it not the guns fault.

Ed

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
The wolf is a fine muzzleloader and will serve you years of faithful service.

IC B2

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Gentlemen,

I want to thank you for your prompt replies to my question - I do appreciate the fact that you took your time to answer! I didn't know the CVA was NOT made in the US - sorry? (I know my old Green River Rifle Works percussion rifle parts were made in Utah, I believe?)

Just thought with my aging eyes and glasses the scope may work better for me than the old copper front and buckhorn rear I was used to. It seemed to work really well YEARS ago...hmm?

Keep the replies coming so I can learn more, OK? This Board has a lot of knowledge and experience to share, I know. Again..

Thank you!
Brittman

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The CVA Wolf and the T/C Impact are two really good buys in the value-priced category.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Greetings Brittman,

Do you no longer have your GRRW rifle?

Kaywoodie

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Greetings to you also, kaywoodie!

I do still have the GRRW rifle - love it! I just decided to try one of the new ML's, that's all. A scope will be nice to use once in awhile? Gotta love those old cap locks though. I'm sure when they arrived, those with their flintlocks said, "they won't last"....

Shoot well,
Brittman

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
That rifle will serve you well.

IC B3

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by GoexBlackhorn
The CVA Wolf and the T/C Impact are two really good buys in the value-priced category.

+1 I have the T/C and my son-in-law has the CVA. The CVA is an older one so we had the breech plug modified for 209 primers so he can use BH209 powder. He likes the CVA which he's had for years but likes my Impact better. He has the action open a few times after catching the release on brush or unintentionally bumping it. Won't happen with the Impact. Not that he's getting rid of his Wolf.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
CVA designed the Wolf to hit a certain price point within the North American market place. Their goal is mass appeal for a budget friendly modern muzzle loader for hunting. They hit their mark nicely with this rifle which shares many features of the pricier Optima model. Wolf muzzle loaders have toppled scores of deer within reasonable shooting distances and will work nicely for you as well. Many hunters install scopes on their rifles for better sighting. Scopes are especially helpful when lighting is less than ideal or counting points within antler restricted areas.

Good hunting to you!
Sherwood

FIRE UP THE GRILL - is NOT catch and release!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have shot both the Wolf and the Impact and I would give both of them two thumbs up. I myself would be happy with either one but would buy the Impact over the Wolf simply because of the breeching device being on top the rifle instaed of underneath. Good Luck with your choice.

Take your kids and your grand kids huntin' and shootin'.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

673 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 66 invisible), 15,829 guests, and 1,002 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,200
Posts18,543,557
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.