Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Zero itch whatsoevah and I'm not kidding.

That stuff is awesome.

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have wool from SmartWool, Woolrich, FirstLite, Cabelas, LLBean and Pendleton, perhaps others I've forgotten. I wear a lot of it for the reasons indicated by others. I pick up a piece here and there and obviously I like it. I've never had an itching problem so can't speak to that.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Smartwool socks are uber.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

The Codet Big Bill 210 pants are really great and about a third of the price of Filson etc. I think around $125. Some might find them too heavy. They are 28 oz 100% wool.

The Woolrich Malone are a good value too at about $175. I think these are 18 oz but only 80-85% wool depending on how long they've been sitting in stock. The newest version is only 80% wool but still very warm.

Bemidji mills out of Minnesota makes great stuff at really reasonable prices.

Filson is the gold standard. Johnson Mills is awfully good as well.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by teal
Originally Posted by northern_dave
Originally Posted by MikeL2
Johnson woolen mill is still in business and makes traditional wool coats and pants and other stuff, but they aren't cheap.
https://johnsonwoolenmills.com

That's what my wool stuff is.

My stuff is probably 20 yrs old now though.

Think I should warsh it?

They aren't giving them away are they?

BUT if they last.... annual cost ain't horrible.

Well, I'm on my second cruiser jacket from Johnson in the last 40+ years. Never wore the first one out, just outgrew it.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I have KOM that’s decades old and some Fisons also. My overall favorite wool pant is the Filson Whipcord. It’s a medium weight, tight-weave, hard textured pant. Doesn’t pill or snag or itch probably because the hard texture. Spendy? Kind of but but not so much considering they are 20 years old still holding a crease. I wear silk under them when cold and don’t with milder temps — gives me a wide temp range of comfort.

The Filson heaveryweights pants (24 oz) along with their Mac coat (24 oz) are for still hunting only; any movement and you’ll be well-done in an hour.

I liked the old Johnson’s too back in the day; much cheaper and with some synthetic blend in with the wool but they did seem to rip, or pill easier — just lighter weight.

My KOM’s are also decades old and some of the earlier pieces guaranteed not to shrink, shrank a whole size, but they replaced them. On the whole they are good garments and worked well when I bowhunted into the winter in IA and SD.

The thing is most of these would be considered quite expensive but when you consider they are still in good condition, much used, and look good, I don’t at all regret getting them.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For stand hunting, the heavy insulated Carhartt coveralls are pretty damn warm.

I like merino/poly blend base layers. Put on a wool sweater and some fleece bottoms over the base layer, Carhartt insulated caveralls = Toasty!

If you're hiking a bit, you'll sweat your azz off But they are great for sitting/standing in.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Husqvarna or no varna! You all suck! I'm awesome! Bowtomecouchfucks!

Baaaaaahhhhhh! (swinging helicopter arms)

Chainsaws?

Something clever here.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Oh fuuck yuou know Dave you fuucker you!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by roundoak
"I've recently lost some weight, looking to replace old gear"

Health problems, Teal?.

Nope. Just was too fat. I'm still fat but not too fat. July 4 I started working on it. Really counting calories in, upping protein, cutting sugar by a very large amount and just really paying attention to not only what but how much I was eating. 4-5 Guinness a night, 4 nights a week adds a ton of empty calories even tho its a low cal beer. Always struggled with portion control. Got sick of it. My son graduates from basic training next month and I didn't want to be completely embarrassing when he introduced me to people. I expect to be down another 3-5 lbs by then.

I'm down 12% of my body weight and still working. I won't really need new gear this year, can make my old stuff work one more go but next year, I need new stuff. Actually a combo of too big and wore out. Mostly old Gander Mt. stuff from pre-2000.

If you have a "tailor" or seamstress in the area you may just look into having your old clothes that are still in decent shape "taken in" as we used to do in the Olden Days................you know, the 60's!

I can see replacing the worn out stuff, but if you have any stuff that's still serviceable, alterations might be the answer.

Good luck,

Geno

Nope, they need to come down a couple sizes. Like 3. Not a minor adjustment. Sucks to spend $$ but I'm healthier, feel better etc.

I gained weight and spending money on bigger clothes made feel guilty, kinda dirty. I lost some weight and am back to my original size when I retired but still a fat fugg, I plan to lose more and will gladly buy smaller sizes.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cabela's Wooltimate product is 77% polyester 23% wool. and a 4MOST WINDSHEAR lining. I would want the percentage reversed and want wind break on the outside.

For stand hunting in cold weather I use Cabela's insulated bibs and Woolrich Classic Wool coat. When the wind blows I put a Mount'n Prairie un-insulated wind breaker
blaze orange breakup parka on.

Last edited by roundoak; 09/20/18.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I love wool for cold outdoor stuff & Hunting! I buy vintage USA made wool stuff! also check out Asbells woo! l Large Plaids, Iv used Teresa Asbell wool Garmets the last few years Bow & gun huntiing, and have killed my 2 bigest Bucks while wearing her Wool as camo, blend in very well! and prices are very good! I sold alot of Sitka suff last year and bought Asbells wool!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Filson. Period.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Rarely EVER cold enough to wear my wool stuff here in TX, but when I do, it’s Filson. I usually hunt in my Cabela’s Berber Fleece with the wind stopper lining when it’s cold here. I really like how light and warm it is for the money.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 09/20/18.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 160user, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 70 invisible), 2,626 guests, and 1,325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,476
Posts18,471,571
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.