-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
An honest guy dont might signing a contract.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
GB1

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
A handshake should be good enough.

But those times sadly are gone.

Looking a man in the eye, giving a firm handshake............rare thing now.

Esp among the college guys.

WTF

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
People often remember handshake deals differently from each other when it comes time to get paid.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Boarmaster123
An honest guy dont might signing a contract.

I recently put the word out that I was looking to have some drywall work done in my home. It took awhile but eventually a guy shows up and gives me a price. When I asked him for references he pretty much became unglued in my kitchen.

Bye bye.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
People often remember handshake deals differently from each other when it comes time to get paid.

^^^THIS^^^

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I've made more real estate deals this way than the other. And, in general, all deals. If someone backs out on their handshake, you're probably lucky not to be doing business with them.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
We bought our first house when we were first married and closed on it the same weekend we were married. We lived there for a couple years when my wife was offered her “dream job” which required us to sell it and move back to the west side of the mountains. Our neighbor at the time wanted to buy it before we listed it with a real estate agent and we agreed on a price and shook hands. We thought that $10,000 more than we’d paid 2 years earlier was a great deal for us. Over the next couple of weeks we had 2 other neighbors offer us considerably more than what we were selling it for and to top it off my wife got a call from another pilot that had tracked her down somehow because he had known about our house, where it was and what it was worth. He offered us $75,000 more than our handshake deal with our neighbors but we declined. Many people that knew us and that knew how much money we were leaving on the table thought we were crazy or stupid or both and maybe we were but I could sleep easy and look myself in the mirror each morning knowing that I wasn’t tempted to back out of the handshake deal.

We might’ve made a lot more money than we did but in the end my word was worth far more than the 75 or 80 thousand dollars we stood to gain. We were initially content to walk away with $10,000 and greed wasn’t going to change that. We sold it to our neighbor for what we had initially shook hands over and I stood by my word. I’ve regretted selling it too cheap but I never regretted living up to my word and standing by my handshake. Our children have heard that story many times through the years and I hope that it sticks with them throughout their lives. Your word is your bond and a man’s handshake is his promise.....to break either one is a reflection upon ones character, or lack there of. I want my children to have a positive example of what a man should exemplify and that BEGINS with keeping your promises.

I hate liars, cheats and thieves with a passion!

I have often thought about how doing the right thing always costs you.
Then I realized,
that's why many don't do the right thing.

I always tell my kids, do the right thing.
You can hold your head up, and you can sleep at night.
Sometimes, when it seems that's all you have,
It's enough.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Financed my first two houses on a handshake with local banker. Second one, I had to bring a loan app back after the closing so he could have it on file. They were bought out by a regional bank. Five years later couldn't get a bridge loan for next house with a Fortune 20 company guaranteeing the loan... That was 30 years ago. Have not dealt with that bank since...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I do pretty much all side jobs on a handshake basis. Screw me, and I will never work for you again. (As one of my neighbors found out the hard way).
I've only walked away from one side job without completing it. It was a job installing a chain link fence with two buried obstructions to be aware of. (Gas and sewer) and a total of two gates, 6 terminal posts and and about 15 posts in all. The customer kept moving the post holes by A few feet, even though they had been laid out with paint, measuring tape, and agreed to, before any digging was done. I hand dug (porthole digger) more than 40 holes, before giving up on ever finishing. I informed the customer that she needed to contact a fencing company, who would lay out in contract form exactly what the end result would be, and be held to it. I walked away with nothing but blisters, and two wasted days.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

618 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 007FJ, 19rabbit52, 10gaugeman, 57 invisible), 3,113 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,486
Posts18,471,881
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.