Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Thing that puzzles me is how some of you fellas mangle nice guns in the field, while a fair number don’t. I do own a S/S rifle that is a foul weather gun but hunt a shoot with a bunch of nice wood and blue guns w/o tearing them up. Back before S/S was invented nice guns got wet. I dried them out and cleaned them.

Not long ago I posted a pic of a Mod 94 Trapper that I’ve hunted with a lot and someone suggested it was unused. Ain’t no p’up that could haul the meat that gun has killed. It’s how I roll.

Probably depends on where and how one hunts. As has been mentioned, wet, rocky, thorny, and similar environments can be hard on equipment- and users. Of course, for some of us, those environments are often the best place to find the game. Here, blackberries and multiflora rose are everywhere, steep rocky ridges abound, and one finds themselves crawling around in and pushing their way through brush quite often.

I love hunting in the rain, and have been known to hunt before work. Rarely take time to dry out and oil a weapon when doing that. If I was a fair weather hunter, and hunted open areas or from a stand, I could see using a pretty rifle. Maybe when I get older and content myself with hunting the edge of a farm field on nice sunny days.

HR IC

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
All my guns get used and taken care of , couldn’t sleep if I had a gun in the safe that wasn’t used

Benefactor Life Member NRA, Arizona Hunter Education Instructor
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Probably the 'prettiest' rifle I owned, had a # 1 that came close tho.

S W 1500 (Howa) 270 W

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

However (Howaver grin) it GOT hunted. notice blue gone on bolt handle.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Snow or Rain ( I didn't take the pic)

Last edited by jwall; 04/12/20.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Walnut can swell up but doesn't change POI if everything is right. As I posted previously, prettiest rifle in my safe is Mrs Blacktailer's Super America Kimber. We got caught in a real downpour chasing some wildebeest and when we got back to camp the PH and I decided we should clean our guns. Tried to take the Kimber out of the stock and there was no way those action screws would budge because the stock had swelled. Decided to wait until we got home to give it a good cleaning and by the time we got home, the screws came out fine. Shot an impala the day after the downpour at over 100 yards and several other animals in the succeeding days and the POI had not changed a bit.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by chamois
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Sir, those are beautiful rifles!

Semper Fi
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Thank You, Beretz!

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Not sure if your agreeing with, to pretty to hunt with, but that is some exceptional materials and craftsmanship. Scopes are not bad either.😊

If your a leftist, whatever Donald Trump says or does, that pisses you off rest assured, I am a Happy Camper!
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Thank you, KnivesForme.

The truth is I hunt them all and in all conditions. In fact I almost don't hunt with anything else.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I actually like a blued gun with nice wood that has a little wear from hunting. I think the memories of the hunts a rifle and it's owner has been on out way sitting in a safe to protect it.

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

82 members (35, 444Matt, 7mm_Loco, 6mmCreedmoor, 1_deuce, 11 invisible), 1,455 guests, and 813 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,306
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.