Print Thread
Hop To
#2866772 03/07/09
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
I know there are specific caliber/gun combinations that pretty much require crimping--specifically tube fed lever actions in .30-30, ,35 rem, and .45-70 to name a few. And lets not forget the revolver rounds either.

But with magazine fed rifles....obviously there are a slew of bullets out there that do not have a crimping cannelure. In fact, from my observations, I think manufacturers are progressively getting away from the cannelure as they release new designs. But when you are seating bullets that do have a cannelure, do you crimp just for the sake of having a cannelure to crimp into? Do you believe there is some slight difference in performance as pressures may have to rise ever more slightly to "un-roll" the crimp to get the bullet moving?

HR IC

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Except for the rounds you note,in 50 years,I have not crimped a round whether it had a cannelure or not. Most of the bullets I have loaded that did have cannelures,the cannelures were out well past the end of case neck anyway.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have found a slight advantage to crimping but I ONLY CRIMP WITH THE LEE FACTORY CRIMP DIE. In 3 separate tests crimping with the LFCD has increased velocity by an AVERAGE of 10 fps and decreased group size an AVERAGE of 1/8" (some more than others)
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The LFCD does not need to crimp into a cannelure and it is easy to use to set a light, medium or heavy crimp as you want. They are cheap and fool proof.

Is it necessary? No. Will it always improve accuracy? No. Does it help sometimes in some rifles? Yes. Does it ever have an ill effect? Not IME.

There is also a certain peace of mind with not having to worry about the bullet moving either in the mag from recoil, compressed powder pushing it out or mishandling.

"The beauty of the 2nd amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it" - Thomas Jefferson

Criminals prefer unarmed victims and dictators prefer unarmed citizens
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
sometimes its interesting what little things can change or improve accuracy as I read a very interesting article about the 22 hornet here a few years back and these guys got similar results by switching to small pistol primers the groups would sinch right up and with small rifle primrs the groups would open up considerably,very interesting information and thanks for that tidbit...............

broken bones broken heart stripped down an torn apart a lil rust but Im still runnin countin miles countin tears twisted roads and shiftin gears year after year its all or nothin Im not home and Im not lost just holdin on 2 what I got...God and Guns
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Very interesting, woods. Thanks.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have found the same thing that woods said to be true. And sometimes I just crimp slightly to remove the proud square edge of the case mouth as it can affected reliability slightly in some situations.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My results exactly. I've had Lee factory crimp dies for all my rifles now. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I posted a question about this quite a long time ago and didn't really get an exact answer.

It is Lee's contension that crimping serves the same function as seating a bullet "on the lands," in that the resistance forces a more uniform pressure curve.

It would make more sense to me to compare it to dies like the Redding type s neck sizer which allows the loader to manipulate neck tension, but even so, it makes sense to me.

If you're looking to seat bullets X-thousandths away from the lands in any given rifle the Lee Crimp is the only choice, since in all liklihood you won't be crimping in the groove.

I don't crimp all of my ammo, but I do experiement with it when developing a load. It is one factor amongst many that can add some consistency and accuracy to your loads.

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
I have heard of the Lee Factory Crimp Die before, and hearing you guys speak of it has got my interest peaked. Would I be correct in assuming that this die only crimps the case neck and serves no function at all in seating the bullet to a specific depth?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You would be correct in assuming that War Eagle.

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
IC B3

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
War Eagle,

Not only that, but unlike the conventional "roll crimp" that comes in RCBS seater dies, this one utilizes a collet. You don't run the risk of deforming the case if you get "to into" the crimp.

As a matter of fact, Lee claims you can even crimp bullets that lack a canelure. I haven't ever tried that though.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

507 members (21, 1badf350, 06hunter59, 1moredeer, 12344mag, 160user, 53 invisible), 12,974 guests, and 1,286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,833
Posts18,537,092
Members74,047
Most Online13,949
9 seconds ago

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.