Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3031473 05/12/09
B
BWalker Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Who makes a high quality fixed 6x, besides Leupy?
I love the FX-3's, but dont care for the heavy Duplex reticle.
I have a older 6x Swaro, but I dont think they are made anymore.

GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
The FX3 is available with the "wide duplex." The wide duplex has the thinner reticle. The thicker reticle is called the "heavy duplex."

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

B
BWalker Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
The standard duplex is not available in a matte finish. Which is odd IMO.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Burris, Meopta and Sightron are listed at reasonable prices on MidwayUSA. There's some stuff on there from der Fatherland that's really pricey as well. They some examples of the reticles. Mule Deer aka John Barsness is a big fan of the Burris scope.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Weaver seems to be gaining a good reputation for value.

Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote.
*Marvin Simkin* L.A. Times (1992)
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BWalker

BWalker,

You can order a Leupold 6x42 in Matte with just about whatever reticle Leupold makes, by just ordering the entire scope from the Custom Shop. Yea, it costs a few bucks more, but this way you get exactly what you want.

Leupold Custom Shop

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Or send it back in to be changed to whatever you want for about $55. Life isn't hard...

The Weaver K6 has nice glass too, and a nice light weight, but only mounts well on some short actions. I can't put mine on a long action without extension rings.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How about a Schmidt&Bender 6x42!!!

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Been running a Sightron SIIB 6x42 Big Sky opposite an FX-III 6x42 for a couple years now. I still can't find any real difference between the two.

If you can find one of the 6x42 Nikon Monarchs, they are right up there as well.

Ditto on the call Leupold and get the reticle you want.

FWIW, the "wide duplex" isn't that much wider than the standard, and works just fine, thank you.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
The 6x42 Nikon Monarchs are good optically, but the eye relief leaves something to be desired. I've found relatively few rifles where they can be mounted the way I like. Maybe that's just me, though.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Excellent point. The Monarch is shorter in eye relief (and more critical in eye relief) than either the Sightron or the Leupold. Mine lives on a .50 ML with a great latitude in mounting, and fits well there, still providing enough eye relief for that use.

Given that they are a PITA to find, and the shorter eye relief, I'd put them behind the Sightron and Leupold, though still a good choice if you can find one for a steal.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I own a Meopta, Burris, Leupold M8 and Weaver. I love them all and put it as 6x42 Meopta being the best overall. Terrific adjustments -a bit heavy. Fantastic service and warranty. #4 reticle. 6x40 Burris FFII is aesthetically pleasing and has great glass- very nice scope but the clicks are 1/2moa and a little on the sloppy side- overall still think it was a great buy at the price also a nice #4 reticle. Weaver K6 6x38 is a best buy and very bright too. Nice adjustments and way underpriced. Reticles are a too thin for my tasted but serviceable. Scope weighs nothings but is very solid. I own a Sightron SII but not a fixed 6. About on par with the Burris I would guess. 1/4 adjustments are very accurate but not over positive. I find the glass on the Burris better but it is a different animal. I would opt for the SII Big Sky and would prefer it to the Nikon -just me though. Closest thing to the perfect clicks of the Meopta in my stable is the Weaver.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Your stable of 6s has a couple mine don't, but strikes a bit similar.

Currently gunning under an FX-III, an M8 with target turrets and AO, an El Paso Weaver K6, a Sightron SIIB, a Sightron SII, and a Nikon Monarch, as well has having had an IOR in house at one point, and a Burris.

The IOR was truly impressive optically, and the turrets were incredibly precise and positive. However, it was HEAVY, and the eye relief short. On the right rifle, the IOR would be the absolute nuts, but not on a lightish hunting rig, so it went away. On a heavy gun, it'd rule.

The Burris impressions mirror yours, with the addition of short, critical eye relief. Overall, I liked it the least, and it went away.

The EP Weaver stacks up surprisingly well, though 1/2" adjustments and a short step behind in optics (go figure, it's 40+ years old). Great eye relief, though, and it fits well on a "classic" rifle; maybe living on a Savage 99, or just sitting by for the "right" old rifle (hmmmm..... a good old .22 Hornet would work........)

The FX-III and SIIB are the best overalls in the stable, giving just about everything you could want and giving up little in return. They are my go-to glass on my go-to rifles.

The SII, the Monarch, and the M8 are just behind. The SII lacks in eye relief, as does the Monarch, and the M8 is just a short step back in glass, though great eye relief. The M8 is on my soon-to-be .22K-Hornet, and will suit that rig just fine. The Monarch lives on a ML, and the SII runs on a back-up rifle (.303 Brit).

Oh, and I forgot the Pentax 6x42 that is currently running with a pard on a .223 truck gun. Short eye relief, funky adjustments, but nice glass and CHEAP. On that beater rifle, it's a good fit.

Still have to try one of the new Weavers, though.

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by BWalker

I have a couple of Leupy 6x42's, and last summer bought a Swarovski PF 6x42 which is still being made. GREAT glass in the Swaro, although the eye relief is marginal. I have it on a 250 Savage, so no issue with getting nailed above the eye with a recoiling scope.
I'd buy another Swaro in a heartbeat too. Awesome image!

Don

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

Tod Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
USO is also offering a 6x. Unfortunately, they decided to go with a small objective.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
VAnimrod,

Actually the problem with the Nikon 6x42 isn't the short eye relief itself, but that incombination with the short tube makes them tough to mount in the right place. The Burris FFII 6x40 (which I like a LOT) doesn't have the longest eye relief in the world, but it's sufficient--and the tube is plenty long, allowing wide flexibility in mounting.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Interesting observation.

I didn't like the Burris for a combination of factors, but hey, that's why there are a bunch of different options out there (the Burris I DID like, and IIRC, you bought it from me) was the little Burris Mini-Compact 6x. I need another one of those.......

Anyway, the Nikon I have is on a T/C System 1 ML, and it fits fine there. Would it work on a different rifle/carbine? Don't know; didn't try it.

The FX-III and SIIB, IMHO, still outpace it.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
You can get the FX-3 6x42 in matte with the LR-duplex reticle.

I don't know that I would want any other reticle I absolutely love mine...

It isn't energy that kills. It's holes!
Dogzapper

A fine is a tax for doing wrong, a tax is a fine for doing well
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B-I've got two K6 Weavers of present day vintage, if they came with the kind of dots that I like I wouldn't be buying any other scope including my beloved Leo's.

I have two K6's (I really like the 38 mil) and one 6x36 Leo with LR dotz and I personally prefer the K6.

Plus, you can buy them for 119 bones and they weigh something like 9 oz's.

Something to think about.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hey Dober, these folks might be able to cure your dot dilemma on the K-6

http://www.scopedot.com/

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 160user, 1minute, 1Longbow, 66 invisible), 14,938 guests, and 1,025 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,146
Posts18,542,544
Members74,058
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.