Print Thread
Hop To
F
Freddy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Went to the Reno gun show yesterday and picked up eight full boxes of once fired factory Norma brass for about the cost of one box of factory loads. I want to start reloading for my 6.5 again, the most current reloading data that I have is from the Sierra 3 rd edition reloading manual. Does any body have any information on Reliant powders for the 6.5? I have a couple of boxes of Norma brass made for reloading the 6.5, the letters Re are on the headstamp but I have had problems with these cases, they swell up near the rim and are next to impossible to resize without shaving off some brass, has anyone else had this problem with this caliber or other Norma brass?

GB1

rvp Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Use some imperial sizing wax and the problem goes away. The Arisaka chambers on some rifles are rather large.

Last edited by rvp; 12/05/07.

SHOOT STRAIGHT AND OFTEN. Hunt with your kids. Teach them not to shoot anything that they are not going to eat. Have respect for all ANIMALS.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Freddy
I have a couple of boxes of Norma brass made for reloading the 6.5, the letters Re are on the headstamp but I have had problems with these cases, they swell up near the rim and are next to impossible to resize without shaving off some brass, has anyone else had this problem with this caliber or other Norma brass?

Freddy-
This is a common problem with the 6.5 Arisaka. The best explanation is in an article in Handloader #111 from 1984. For unclear reasons, the Japanese reduced the size of their service cartridge sometime before WWII, but kept chambering their rifles for the original larger size. This did not make much difference to their military, because they did not reload the swelled cases. The size differences were not enough to make the smaller cases unsafe.

Commercial cartridge cases like Norma are based on the smaller cartridge size. When fired in a normal chamber, they will swell, as you have noted. Most current sizing dies will size the swelled case back to the smaller dimensions, which results in a lot of working of the brass.

There are a couple of solutions to the problem. Use your commercial cases and neck size your fired cases, ignoring the swelling at the shoulder and base. You'll have to find a neck sizing die for this. Using partial sizing with a full-length sizer probably won't work, because the swollen base will be slightly resized, pushing forward the shoulder.

My own temporary cure is to use a Lee collet die for the 6.5x55 Swedish mauser. This resizes only the front of the neck, but it's enough to get the rifle firing acceptably, and is safe. Eventually I'll have Lee make a collet die for the 6.5 Arisaka.

An alternative solution, described in the article, is to swage .308 brass to the base size of the original Arisaka case, to fit the chamber so the cases don't swell. This will require a special die set for resizing, as well as a swage.

Best of luck.
--Bob

F
Freddy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Bob: Thanks for the advice, I only have about three boxes of the cases that are giving me problems, I just partially resize them, they are a little tight when chambering. The once fired factory cases are ok, they don't swell at all, those are the ones I will use for serious business. Again thanks for your help. Fred

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (160user, 12344mag, 117LBS, 10gaugemag, 1eyedmule, 007FJ, 62 invisible), 2,707 guests, and 1,235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,984
Posts18,480,954
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.