S

Come on - what's the end game here!

Enough waiting.

Spot

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
vx-7 optics in 1" tub\e

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Any word if it will be a 45mm lens and turrets like the VX7?
Estimated price?

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S

wait, wait, wait....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
VX7 optics would be great in a 1" tube but I don't think you would see that just from a cost standpoint. Just a guess, but I think they will try to keep the price closer to the current VX3. The turrets would be nice and I'm just guessing you will see a fast focus ocular and perhaps the Diamond Coat lense coating. You have to remember that the glass is the most expensive part of any scope especially when they are farming it out.

IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S

I'd agree I love the VX-7 turrent on a VX-III scope

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S

OK some info - not much

The new line is call VX-3 vs. the old VX-III

but they still aren't saying what the features are DOH!

Frick

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
A friend of mine opines that they will incorporate the new variable technology that Meade developed for the new Redfield scopes a year or two ago. My understanding is that Leupold acquired both Redfield and the new technology from Meade.

About time, actually, because the basic mechanical design of variables is older than dinosaur excrement.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I would love to have 3.5-10 by 40 that was as good optically as a Conquest, with the same physical size of the Leupold that wouldn't braek the bank to buy. Then they'll have something.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Forgot to add to my wishlist that a 4X aoom range wouks be nice.

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Ok boys, here's the news:

Leupold� Introduces New VX�-3 Riflescopes:
New Line Has Enhanced Performance, Advanced Features

BEAVERTON, Ore. � Leupold� has a new flagship line of riflescopes with multiple advanced features and superior optical performance � the all-new VX�-3 and VX-3L� riflescopes. The new line lists a new lens system and models with the Light Optimization Profile� among the enhancements.
All VX-3/VX-3L riflescopes feature Leupold�s Xtended Twilight Lens System�. The system uses index matched glass with proprietary lens coatings that rebalance blue and purple wavelengths to provide hunters with an even brighter, sharper image in low-light conditions.
�Progress and development should never stop,� commented Mike Slack, Leupold�s marketing communications manager. �The VX-3 is a leap forward in the areas of mechanical reliability, light management, and ruggedness. Hunters and shooters are going to love all the new features the line has to offer.�
Other new features for the VX-3/VX-3L include cryogenically treated, Titanium-Nitride coated, high-strength aluminum adjustment dials and Leupold�s most durable dual spring erector system. This combination of features makes the VX-3/VX-3L riflescopes more rugged than ever before.
The VX-3L models feature the Light Optimization Profile � the cut crescent shape made famous by the VX-L�. The crescent delivers maximum Total Light Throughput�, yet allows a lower mount for proper cheek weld and faster target acquisition.
Other new key features to the line include:
� Second generation Argon/Krypton waterproofing � Leupold�s exclusive internal gas blend and the last word in thermal shock resistance, keeping the riflescope fog proof as well as waterproof
� Blackened lens edges � eliminates residual refraction and minimizes the effects of stray light for maximum photopic transmission, clarity and contrast
� DiamondCoat 2� � ion-assist lens coating provides higher light transmission while supplying the highest level of abrasion resistance Leupold offers
The new riflescopes are offered in configurations from 1.5-5x20mm, which is ideal for dangerous game and close range shooting, all the way to 8.5-25x50mm Long Range Target which is ideal for long range varminting and competition shooting. The riflescopes feature a one-inch maintube and �-MOA adjustments for both windage and elevation, with selected models having finer adjustments and/or 30mm maintubes. Users can choose between a wide selection of reticles, appropriate for virtually any hunting or shooting need. All VX-3/VX-3L riflescopes are backed by Leupold�s Full Lifetime Guarantee.
Leupold & Stevens, Inc., the most prominent American-owned and -operated optics company, employs more than 650 people in its state-of-the-art Beaverton, Ore., facility where rugged, dependable, high-performance Golden Ring� sports optics are designed, machined and assembled. Leupold is a fifth-generation, family-owned company whose products are sold worldwide to hunters, wildlife observers, competitive shooters, law enforcement officers and special operations military personnel. The product line includes rifle, handgun and spotting scopes; binoculars; rangefinders; flashlights; mounting systems; and optical tools and accessories.

End Press Release

In the Line up, beside 3.5-10x50s, there is 3.5-12x56s as well, most probably targeting the Euro Market.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

WOW, Leuppy is attempting to get into the twenty first century. FINALY

Well not exactly, still no 4X Zoom

Last edited by jwp475; 11/21/08.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
no etched reticle

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S

Bummer no etched reticle & no pop up adj. drop like the XL7.

MAN...

Well at least they are updating the coatings.

Still the best scope out there - but at what price?

If they jumped ahead with either one of the other features they could charge more...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Naturally they're going to keep some features for the VX-7. It sounds like these should be pretty much the same externally but with better glass and coatings--which is exactly what many people want. Those who want the rest will have to pay for the VX-7's.

The "Xtended Twilight Lens System� and DiamondCoat 2�" are what they advertise for the VX-7 which most say is very good optically so it might be a big step up. If glass is comparable to the Conquest and tracking is improved, I could see myself getting a couple for lightweight rigs--if they keep the price at VXIII levels.

Sounds like a great improvement.

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S

I'd have to agree this is just a keep ahead of the jones with the optic coatings work - and rightfully so.

May be it's keeping ahead of the jones.

Either way I'm ok

BUT... BUT they could have put the turret on the LR model

OR

Better yet let the custom shop do it..

HEY>. maybe the new XL7 turrets will fix on a VX3 -
That would be sweet -

Hope they thought of that one!@!!!!!!

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by BobinNH
A friend of mine opines that they will incorporate the new variable technology that Meade developed for the new Redfield scopes a year or two ago. My understanding is that Leupold acquired both Redfield and the new technology from Meade.

About time, actually, because the basic mechanical design of variables is older than dinosaur excrement.

They need to do something as they are falling way behind in the tactical/target world. The VX-IIIs are not repeatable enough and apparently aren't all that durable anymore. I had two of them go belly up on me this week. One was dropped off at the post office today. Still trying to decide on the other! Not sure what I would replace them with is the thing! I need to wring out a Vortex and see what I think.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

148 members (257 mag, 44mc, 7887mm08, 6mmCreedmoor, 10Glocks, AceBall, 11 invisible), 1,612 guests, and 1,113 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,449
Posts18,528,844
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.