Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by STA
Jeff,
The skiing trip was awesome! :GRIN: You should have been there....Powder snow and no lift lines Mon-Fri. Got 8 full days of skiing this year. Had to work for the railroad out of Denver Jan. and Feb. so made the best of it and skiied when I had time...

Nice! I'm into double digits for the year, and hoping to get at least a couple more days in... but it gets tougher as spring comes on. We have about 2 more weeks of normal operation, then they go to spring hours on the mountain which basically means I'm done...

I never skied real powder this year. Pounded hell out of some crud, though! grin

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
GB1

STA Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Double digits must be nice.... :GRIN:

randy..
STA Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Jeff, That new ziess is it going on the 358win?

randy..
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yeah, though my "good" knee going wonky on me was disturbing. All that crud skiing; that's hard work right there and I tend to get my weight back on my heels a little too much, which was hurting my knee under the kneecap. But as I said, I pounded it HARD last sunday and my knee got the miracle cure somehow!

My thighs are still a little sore, which takes some doing this late in the year and what, 4 days later? It was an epic day.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by STA
Jeff, That new ziess is it going on the 358win?

Yep, it's already mounted and sighted in. Cool scope, though it's a big sucker for a 1.5-5.8... I'll post a pic on the thread in the optics forum later when I get a chance. It's a little goofy-looking on such a short action, but I sure like how it seems to perform, so far. And the PRICE! $299... gotta love it...

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Randy, this is from up near the Summit of Bachelor a couple weeks ago:

[Linked Image]

This is me up at the summit:

[Linked Image]

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Randy, gosh, sorry to hijack your thread but you did ask! Here's my M7 with that Zeiss mounted to it. Wish there was some other solution than the Butler Creek's... but they'll do I guess.

[Linked Image]

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
STA Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Nice photos looks like some great skiing.... :GRIN:

That scope is huge! Im a fan of the Conquest but that dude is sitting way to far back for my tast....

randy..
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Good lord, that's out of place.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Me thinks a new crescent shaped scar is in someone's future.

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Only Jeff [bleep],could get an ocular to reach the comb and think he'd done something.

Am suprised it isn't mounted backwards,given his "knowledge".

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
crazy confused whistle

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Steelhead, I agree with you, it's a goofy looking scope.

That's not my first consideration though- at least not in this case.

As to how it's mounted, screw ya'll! :-) That's what works for me. The scope is mounted as far back as I can get it on ALL my rifles, including my .325 Montana and my .338- even with the longer eye relief of my Leupolds. Never been hit by a scope.

So there <g>.

And TryMe- if you were 1/10th the person you think you are, you still wouldn't amount to much. I've been hearing about you for a loooong time, and fighting with people pretending to be you.

The real you, ain't so impressive. Just sayin'.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Hey Randy... I bet we have our Montana's set up differently that way... here's mine. All the way back towards me, just how I like 'em <g>. The scope has never touched me- though it did draw blood on a guy who shot it and crawled the stock.

Guess we are all built different, eh?

[Linked Image]

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I lean toward varibles as I may be in timber and out on sagebrush slopes in the next instant. I've used scopes and my rifles for so long that I can point them within a couple feet of my intended target with ease, so field of view is a non issue for me. Folks that close an eye and search for a target through their scope though are in deep sh-t with high magnifications.

In that same light, something like my 257 might be used for 1 inch wide ground squirrels all the way up to elk. That being, I like a lot of magnification, especially for the ground squirrel side. 4 to 12's, 6 to 18's and 6 to 24X's are what I pack for the most part. Some timber exclusive units carry fixed 2.5's

Ultimately it depends on your intended uses

1Minute
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Jeff

It's not, always about setting the scope in the rings all the way back. You might just look at your two pictures, to be some- what consistence. Always mount the end of your scope in the same place. So when you mount the gun, things are about the same with all your guns.

Just my 2 cents.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
That makes way too much sense.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
What I do, is throw up the rifle with my eyes closed- similar to what you do when fitting a shotgun. I then mount the scope so that it functions best from where my head naturally wants to be on the stock.

That has been, so far, as far back as possible on at least a dozen scoped rifles.

As with LOP, trigger pull, etc... ymmv. Not saying my way is "best" for anyone but me, but it's dang sure best for me! If there's a better way for a guy to mount a scope than what functions best for him, I'm all ears.

I've never understood how people get scope cuts, it just isn't an issue for me even on hard kicking, light rifles wirh lots of muzzle jump like my .325 Montana. It surprises me even more if people are having that problem with their scopes mounted further forward than me, though, come to think of it, maybe I'm onto something ...? :-)

Last edited by Jeff_O; 04/10/09.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Well, Jeff, it depends on your build and how you shoot.
The bussiness of throwing the rifle up and then opening your eyes is not the whole story.
First of all, your head will hit the stock in different positions depending upon the shooting position you choose. Off hand the furthest back, sitting, then prone the most forward. Your head's position on the stock will also vary with the level of clothing you are wearing as you hunt.
I like to set my scopes with a sitting position. But, most important, I want my head in the middle of the eye box, that fore and aft leeway built into the scope. That helps to comstate for other positions better.
Then I take it out and shoot it like I would while hunting. I try it out wearing my hunting clothes. I shoot it under stress. That means shooting as fast as I can and still hit a 10 inch target at 50 yds. Double hits. I shoot it prone over my pack too.
I often try slightly different scope positions until I settle on one location.
Two things strike me about you positioning. One is that your new Zeiss must have little eye relief. The other is that you probably have a relatively short neck or longer than average stocks.
That's fine, whatever works for you. But I do suggest that you test this throughly. I've found it well worth the effort. E

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Not sure I place the scope correctly, but here is what works for me and why.

On variables: Usually locate scope so at the mid range x I have a full occular picture. It will be easier on the low powers and if slightly uncomfortable on the high end, I am taking my time and have room to adapt.

Also have found that as I get older and have less flexibility in my neck, I am mounting them farther back in the rings. The neck flexibility issues comes from way to many shotgun shells, but that's the way it is. Also have shortened most of my stocks to around 13.25 in to compensate, which seems to be the best solution.

I found that most don't even consider "fitting" their rifles to their individual body shape, but imo opinion it is time well spent.

Last edited by battue; 04/10/09.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (222Sako, 06hunter59, 163bc, 204guy, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 69 invisible), 2,529 guests, and 1,206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,788
Posts18,515,889
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.