24hourcampfire.com
24hourcampfire.com
-->
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Just wondering if anyone has had experience cooking up game using a pressure cooker.

Recently got a pressure cooker and have found using it makes for some very tasty and quick to prepare meals.

Thanks!

- John Spartan

Likes hunting with old leverguns.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use a pressure cooker frequently. I use one to prepare meals, and another to can meat and fish. Not too many people use them anymore, but I really like the results when I do! I have, however, used one on a couple of meats and it didn't do its tenderizing trick. One meat that comes to mind is some mt. goat. Toughest stuff, I'm tellin' ya!
M

My Next Husband Will Be Normal- T. Shirt
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I should add that the one I picked up recently allows me to cook at 8 PSI or 15 PSI. I had a recipe for 15 minute chili that turned out well so looking for other recipes to try on big game meat I have in my freezer.

Last edited by JohnSpartan; 06/19/07. Reason: Clarity

- John Spartan

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have three a 4qt Mirro for cooking and a 12qt and 23qt Persto for canning. I use them all through the year.

Handgun Hunter no more. STILL LOVE THOSE .41's
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
JohnSpartan, how about listing that chili recipe?

thanx

IC B2

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
This recipe I got from Pressure Perfect by Lorna Sass

Quarter Hour Chili
(serves 5 to 6)

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 teaspoons whole cumin seeds
2 pounds lean ground beef, pork, turkey or lamb (or venison)
2 cups coarsely chopped onions
1/2 cup water
3 to 4 tablespoons chili powder
1.5 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 pound chorizo or other spicy sausage finely chopped up
1 large green bell pepper seeded and finely chopped
1 can (15 ounces) diced tomatoes or diced tomatoes with green chilies (and liquid)
1 or 2 cloves of garlic, pushed through a garlic press (smashed and cut up works ok also)
1 teaspoon dried oregano
salt and freshly ground pepper

Heat the oil in a 4 quart or larger cooker (high heat). Stir in the cumin seeds and toast for about 20 seconds or so. Add the ground meat in small batches, stirring well after adding each batch. Use a long handled fork or wooden spoon to break up and crumble the meat. Continue cooking over high heat until the meat is brown.

Stir in the onions and water. Scrape the bottom of the cooker for any browned bits. Blend in 3 tablespoons of the chili powder and 1.5 tablespoons of the cocoa. Add the chorizo or other spicy sausage and the bell pepper. Pour the tomatoes on top. Do NOT stir after adding the tomatoes.

Lock the lid in place. Over high heat bring the cooker to high pressure (15 PSI). Reduce the heat to just maintain high pressure and cook for 4 minutes. Turn off the heat. Quick-release the pressure. Remove the lid, tilting the cooker away to allow steam to escape safely.

Stir in the garlic, oregano, and salt & pepper to taste. Add the extra chili powder if needed. Simmer the chili uncovered , stirring occasionally, until the flavors blend in, 3 to 5 minutes. Serve in bowls or taco shells. Add extra garnishes such as sour cream, chopped cilantro, grated cheddar cheese, shredded lettuce, chopped red onion, and tortilla chips.

If you're the type that likes beans in the chili, add one can (15 ounces) drained and rinsed pinto , kidney or black beans OR 1.5 cups firm cooked of the same beans after pressure release.

Batchelor tip: Measure out all ingredients for a quick cooking experience.

- John Spartan

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Here is another pressure cooker chili that has won awards in my area. It takes a bit longer then JS'.

A Bowl of Red in a pressure cooker, version 5

2 �-3 pounds of lean red meat
� pound bacon
� teaspoon salt
1 (12-ounce) bottle/can of beer, preferably, a medium ale
16-ounce red salsa (mild, medium or hot depending on your desired taste. Fresh is best)
2 chipotle peppers canned in adobo sauce
1 tablespoon adobo sauce (from the chipotle peppers in adobo)
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 medium size fresh Roma tomato, seeded, diced
1 ounce tequila
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 (14oz) can of beef broth
1 beef bouillon cube
� oz. (1/2 square) semi-sweet chocolate (optional)
� teaspoon ground cayenne pepper (dry) (optional)
� teaspoon ground chipotle pepper (dry) (optional)
1 (27 oz) can kidney or pinto beans, rinsed, drained (very optional)
3 tablespoons masa harina (corn flour)

Cube meat (1 - 3/4 inch cubes, trim fat), place in large mixing bowl, sprinkle on the salt, stir, set aside. Heat a frying pan over med-high heat until hot. Fry the bacon until crispy. Place bacon on a cookie sheet to cool. Pour off and save the bacon grease. In a blender, add the beer, salsa, chipotle peppers, adobo sauce, tomato, tomato paste, tequila, ground cumin and 1 1/2 tablespoons of chili powder. Crumble the bacon and add to the blender. Puree to combine, set aside.

In a fry pan, brown the meat in 2-4 batches in some bacon grease. Place the browned meat in the pressure cooker. De-glaze the pan between each batch with 3-4 oz of beef broth and pour the liquid into the cooker. Pour any remaining broth into the cooker.

When all the meat is browned and all the broth is in the cooker, add the puree. On high heat, bring the cooker to a boil, stirring often. Lock the lid in place according to the manufacturer's instructions. When steam begins to hiss out of the cooker (15 psi), reduce the heat to medium-low, just enough to maintain a weak shake. Cook at 15 psi for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool ON ITS OWN until the pressure is zero. Open the lid. Ladle out 1 cup of sauce (no meat) and make a thin paste with the masa, no lumps. Meanwhile, bring the remaining chili to a fast boil. Add the remaining chili powder, bouillon cube, chocolate, cayenne, ground chipotle and beans to the sauce, stir. Slowly stir in the masa paste. Reduce the heat to a simmer for an additional 20 minutes. Adjust seasonings and stir. Serves 4-5.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Thanks, gents!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (160user, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 257 mag, 1936M71, 06hunter59, 48 invisible), 2,655 guests, and 1,217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,782
Posts18,477,172
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.