Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#149236 03/19/03
Strider Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'm refinishing an old rifle stock & have had exceptional results with LIN-SPEED in the past. However I have never used it with stain.

I found traces of what I believe was the original stock color. It's a very reddish-almost plum color. The stock is a rather pale walnut and has an exceptionally straight grain with little in the way of character. I'm thinking the original goal was to give it more of a cherry appearance...

Anyway, provided I find the color of stain that I desire, will LIN-SPEED cover as normal over an oil stain? Are there any special additional procedures when using with a stain?

The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

GB1

#149237 03/19/03
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Lin-Speed is extremely forgiving finish. You have a number of options for the quick and dirty job it sounds like you are seeking.

Get a little oil paint and mix it in the lin-speed until you get a very lightly tinted oil that will slowly build in color with repeated coats. If you are not very good with color find a woman who is... get her to tell you what colors you need to add to your mix.

If you do it that way let the coats dry a bit longer than normal. This method will yield far more depth to your finish than any other.

Another option is to use any oil-based stain that you find that is close. You can adjust these by mixing colors (within the same brand) or adding the oil colors. Do not use old stains or oil finishes that you have hanging around... start with fresh finish, always!

Another option that I use for small spot repairs is to fill with super-glue, level and then paint with oils, cover when dry with a few light coats of oil.
art

Reread your post after typing the answer and realize I didn't understand you exactly the first time I read it, but believe I got most of your questions and covered most of what I wanted to add?

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 1936M71, 65 invisible), 2,782 guests, and 1,290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,199
Posts18,503,622
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.