Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
This is my last purchase. In box since may 3, already killed 4 foxes and waiting for big game season.

[Linked Image]

375 is a real pleasure to shoot with that rifle.

Stock butt has been resized, stock is now oil finished, a silver triangle has been incrusted into the rear sight, front sight is now a fluo sight ligthed by holes in its protection tunnel. Quick release scope mount is a rotating one from MAK.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I'm now waiting for a customized docter sight and special mount for it, fitting the MAK rotating system.

Scope is for stalking, docter sight for driven hunt and open signt for rainy weather hunting.

A bit heavy but very accurate and comfortable.

Va t'in tch�re !
GB1

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
GV,

That is an attractive rifle!

Please post a photo of the Docter sight too when you get that fitted...thanks...jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
+1 on pictures of the Docter; beautiful rifle and very functional.

It's my impression that red dot sights are used more for big game in Europe than here, can you fill us in on their performance on game?

Last edited by Oregon45; 08/08/07.
U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
very nice !

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What a nice rifle! Congratulations!

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Oregon45

It's my impression that red dot sights are used more for big game in Europe than here, can you fill us in on their performance on game?

I know nothing about their use in north america but it's quite true they are more and more popular here in europe (usual models in use are from aimpoint, browning, docter or tasco).

Maybe because driven hunts (is that term correct in english ?) are more frequent that stalking here.

Red dots are perfect tools for quick aiming and accurate shots on full speed running games like those nearly flying roe deers or cannonballs wild boars.

I've never owned a true red dot sight before but my scope is equipped with an illuminated reticle. At the lower magnification, and higher illumination levels, it makes a nice red dot that allowed me to perform some very nice shots, but field of view is not very large, that's why i'll try the docter (i also admit that in very quick aiming with a such a big gun, i do prefer not to risk firing in a wrong position with a riflescope at a too short distance from my face) .

Sure i'll show you pictures of the custom docter sight mount. Gunsmith should manage it before the end of augustus. Mine will be different but a french gunsmith developped a very special patented model that places the docter at the end of the barrel (the call it "infaillible") ... very deadly on a double gun ...

However they're very effective and popular for driven hunts, red dot sights are not accurate enough and show a too poor twilight performance for stalking or "treestand" hunting, compared to rifle scopes.

Rifle was the very last mod 70 safari express available on our market. I didn't plan to purchase the gun that year but it was my last chance to own it. It will make a great difference with my previous and lighter rifle (browning european pirsch mod. cal. 7X64 mm brenneke).

Va t'in tch�re !
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
tres jolie, mon ami.

abiding in Him,

><>fish30ought6<><
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
very nice rifle!

Also, nice to hear you have a 7X64. i know it is popular in Europe but, sometimes, I think I'm the only one in NA that owns one!! wink

A golf course is a sad misuse of a perfectly good rifle range.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thank you, merci.

7X64 is a very nice caliber. I think it's the most usual of all in europe and powerful enough to properly kill any of our games, from red foxes to our biggest deers and elks. Accurate, versatile, powerful and comfortable. For me it's a perfect stalking round (despite the fact that "Winchester Super Marketing" rounds are getting more and more popular). I could say it's our 30.06. I hope you enjoy it. Unfortunately, it's a bit too light for driven hunt, especially for boars.

What games do you hunt with 7X64 in NA?

Last edited by grand_veneur; 08/09/07.

Va t'in tch�re !
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Very, very nicely done!

May the best days of your past be the worst days of your future.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Am I missing something in the translation, or are you using 375 H&H on Fox??

Couldn't you find a 458 ?

Beautiful rifle, love your sight choices,
F1

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer but how he hunted it.
S
S
regarding your model 70 safari, check the cross lugs before you shoot to make sure there tight and inleted properly,mine cracked where the lugs are,when i took to the gunsmith,there were quite a few that were in repair for the same cracking problem.ive got the same gun in 375 and also in 458 that is being reamed to 458 lott,we steel bedded the action,and had the lugs inleted properly,good luch with the gun,ive used mine from grouse to moose.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Freedumb1
Am I missing something in the translation, or are you using 375 H&H on Fox??

That's it. Very good training ... there is no more scope on my lighter rifle and i try to become "one rifle man". I hope opportunities to use it on big boars and deers next autumn ... and maybe on bigger games abroad in future years, if i can get enough money.

Va t'in tch�re !
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by spikecamp
regarding your model 70 safari, check the cross lugs before you shoot to make sure there tight and inleted properly,mine cracked where the lugs are,when i took to the gunsmith,there were quite a few that were in repair for the same cracking problem.ive got the same gun in 375 and also in 458 that is being reamed to 458 lott,we steel bedded the action,and had the lugs inleted properly,good luch with the gun,ive used mine from grouse to moose.

I'm now finishing my second 20 rounds box, i've tried "rapid fire" 4 rounds shooting, and did not noticed any problem. I guess gun has been checked by our national firearm test authority, and by the gunsmith, when dismounting the stock in order to change its finish. Were your 70 models recent ones ?

Va t'in tch�re !
S
S
the ones ive seen and mine are about 2 years old,the crack startes as a hairline,and eventually from 1 lug to the other,it is where the etceons are,i think i spelled it right,they had a problem inleting them,keep an eye out for them, sounds like your having a blast,they really point well,is your barrel shiny or matt finish,the 458 is mat and the375 is gloss,i also have a stainless in the same gun,i use that one on my remote moose trips,been through a few snowstormes and wet weather.ive seen a few docter scopes for sale but wondering if it could take repeated poundings,please let us know ,have you been handloading yet? makes the gun more versatile,i love the front sight on yours,im still using the original factory sight.leupold scope though.dont you love it when others want to shoot it and some people just step away.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by spikecamp
the ones ive seen and mine are about 2 years old,the crack startes as a hairline,and eventually from 1 lug to the other,it is where the etceons are,i think i spelled it right,they had a problem inleting them,keep an eye out for them,

thanks for the advice, i'll keep that in mind and regularly check the stock

your barrel shiny or matt finish,the 458 is mat and the375 is gloss

barrel is gloss but "box" is matt.

ive seen a few docter scopes for sale but wondering if it could take repeated poundings,please let us know

I hope it'll work but sure it would be easier than with my scope. Main difficuty is that i use a bolt action rifle. Usually, rifles equipped with red dot sights are double guns and semi-automatic rifles. I've trained myself to repeat my shots and it seems to work but i actually bet on the first shot ...

have you been handloading yet? makes the gun more versatile,

not yet. According to the price of the rounds, i should seriously think about it (A 20 rounds box - 300 grains nosler partitions from federal - costs 86 euros here ...)

i love the front sight on yours,im still using the original factory sight.leupold scope though.dont you love it when others want to shoot it and some people just step away.

yes i do. people from my hunting teams think i use a kind of tank killer, that te recoil is going to throw me yards away and that from some magical "durandal" effect the game is going to explode in pieces ... lot of fun to hear their comments ... grin

Va t'in tch�re !
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by HunterJim

Please post a photo of the Docter sight too when you get that fitted...thanks...jim

Yessssss i've got it ...

adjusted and tested at fifty yards for driven hunt shots ... absolutely terrific !!!! deadly and immediate accuracy ... i hope wild boars won't appreciate ...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Va t'in tch�re !
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
C'est formidable! Bien fait! Bonne chance avec la chasse, et
vive la belle langue francaise!

crazy

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
grand_veneur,

Thank you for the photos.

Your rifle looks like it will have you shooting quickly when the target appears.

I know of some hunters in South Africa who use this type of sight on their dangerous game rifles.

jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
unfortunately not a good occasion to shoot until now ...

i hope my sight will find a big wild boar before the end of the year :?

Va t'in tch�re !
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

527 members (17Fan, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 160user, 12344mag, 1badf350, 67 invisible), 2,372 guests, and 1,174 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,318
Posts18,487,346
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.