Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've got a Richard's Microfit laminated stock that I'm ready to start the final polyurethane finish on. I need some advice on finishing the action inlet area.

Stock is shaped, recoil pad added, swivels added, barrel channel fit, etc.... When I was shaping it and fitting the barrel channel, I grew tired of the in/out process, so I bedded the action and bottom metal. Now that I'm ready to polyurethane the exterior, I'm not sure what to do with the interior of action area. I'd rather not spray over the bedded areas but I can't reach the interior without doing that. I can tape off the bedding, but will have trouble reaching the area around the mag box, etc.....

Does this interior action area not covered by bedding need to be finished? How much more will it be open to moisture?

I could always tape the bedded recoil lug and spray over the rest of the bedding, grind it down later to remove the polyurethane and skim bed it again, but I'd rather not....

Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks,

JCM

GB1

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
I would certainly apply a finish to the bare wood in the inletting. I don't know how much moisture it might absorb if you don't, but any is more than I want. Having part of the stock able to absorb/lose water, and other parts sealed sounds like the quick route to a stock that will shift.

How about merely using a finish that is applied by a brush in the inletting? Then you can reach wherever you want, and avoid wherever you want. I'll bet you can find a liquid finish that is similar in composition and appearance to the stray you are using.

J
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
J
Yeah, the thought of moisture worries me.

You're probably right on using a brush on finish. The appearance/composition really doesn't matter much to me as it will only be seen when the action is removed.

Suggestions on a good brush on polyurethane?

I guess for that matter I could "paint" a light coat of Marine Tex in there and be good to go as long as it isn't to thick to bother the mag box.

Thanks,

JCM

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
I have, on several occasions, sprayed a spray-can finish into a glass jar and dabbed it in to small areas such as this with an "art" brush (I'm thinking of a few times I used Helmsman's Spar here). Seemed to work well if it's just a small area like in the trigger well.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Just go to Lowe's or Home Depot and buy a small can of polyurethane varnish in a clear satin. It honestly won't matter whose brand you use, but Varethane is a good name.

Clemson

NRA Endowment Member
Bolt&Barrel Gunsmithing, Greenwood, SC
www.boltandbarrel.com
U. S. Army Veteran
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For inside the action you can use just about anything that will prevent/repel moisture.

Even a rattlecan of semigloss laquer would work. Will dry thinner then the poly, and not affect your bedding as much

NRA Life Member
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
A good wood laminating epoxy such as West System or System Three will give you an absolutely impervious moisture barrier. System Three (& others) also make epoxy formulas which are crystal clear and can be used as a base layer for varnish.

I have used epoxies for years as a base layer under varnish on my sailboat ... an environment far more harsh than the inletting of a rifle.

Any good ship supply store will provide you with these specialized epoxies.

BTW, welders acid brushes make great small area applicators & at about .15 each they are cheap.

Last edited by OregonCoot; 10/26/07. Reason: sp
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Coot is correct about epoxies.

I prefer to bed the entire action with epoxy which seals and beds all at once...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 1936M71, 65 invisible), 2,782 guests, and 1,290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,199
Posts18,503,622
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.