Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
iambrb Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Is there a place where i can find same? I am have a sporterized military rifle with a stock that would look one whole helluva lot better if I were to strip off 50+ years of gunk and bad varnish or varnish gone bad. Would be a nice little project, and was hoping I could us the 'net for some free info. I mean the basics are well, pretty basic, but my questions center more around sanding, like what grits to use when, and when the heck do you switch to the next grip of sandpaper? Last time I did this was hi-school, and that was like 30 years ago. The stock I have I can doesn't have to come out looking perfect, but I want it to look better than both it did and if an ape were to do it. Any help?

Psalm 19:14-May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
_
Humble servant of Jesus Christ. Living His plan and praying to show it in name, word, body, and light.
GB1

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
A query at one of the CMP's forums will likely get you a helpful reply. Try odcmp.com. Good luck.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
To start, stop worrying about sanding. Get some Formby's Furniture Refinisher and rub the stock down with it. That will take the gunk off and show you what else needs doing.

Sanding will be virtually non-existant.

Wet the dings and apply heat: A wad of wet paper towel on top of the dings heated with a hot air gun will pop out most dings. Let them dry before sanding lightly or you will take off "plumped" wood which will then cause a hollow when dry.

Those two steps will do a tremendous job of improving the looks of your stock.
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
This should be a "Sticky"

NO grit,.....

"Hand rubbed",...

Not horribly complex that,....

Speakee Englee?

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Awful attitude tonight,...Border stuff.

should not let intrude on craft / arts , kills all the magic,
for that I appologize,

Formsby's sure sets up one hell of a lot quicker than some of the others....

You start "Sanding",....as opposed to just doin' what SD suggests,.....you've lost,...

Finish first,....sand later.

Never sand without a block....never.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

IC B2

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
To start, stop worrying about sanding. Get some Formby's Furniture Refinisher and rub the stock down with it. That will take the gunk off and show you what else needs doing.

Sanding will be virtually non-existant.

Wet the dings and apply heat: A wad of wet paper towel on top of the dings heated with a hot air gun will pop out most dings. Let them dry before sanding lightly or you will take off "plumped" wood which will then cause a hollow when dry.

Those two steps will do a tremendous job of improving the looks of your stock.
art

Agree. Using a wood cleaner before going to sanding and refininshing is an excellent first step. You'll save effort and might be satisfied withe the result. If the wood cleaner does not satsify you, try rubbing down the stock with mineral spirits, followed by wood cleaner.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Formby's will dissolve the surface on just about any finish and help redistribute it while allowing a lot of surface crap to be wiped off. Seldom is more needed on older guns... Mineral spirits is no where close to Formby's...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The best post/thread I've ever seen here on this subject. Weagle should be teaching classes! smile

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/407622/page/0/fpart/1

"There's no schadenfreude like Hillary Clinton schadenfreude."
- Tamara Keel
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Have seen many times as many stocks ruined by stripping as saved...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What do you intend to do with stock upon cleaning? I think filling the pores is an awesome upgrade on fine wood stocks......expect a lot of sanding and at least 2 weeks to complete.

All American

All the time
IC B3

iambrb Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Well, I bought a totally bubba-fied/sporterized Ariaaka not too long ago. i rescued it frfom kommie-fornia, and because my gun-pimp owed me a little jack, I got it for $60 OTD!!! Anyway, it has a sporterized stock and the orignal military finish is still on there....plus like 40 years of gunk. the guy I bought it from said it sat in the corcner of a gunshop for years and years, but it is really a neat little thing, and while I cannot afford in the near-term to have it reblued (that will happen this time next year), I figured a little work on the stock couldn't hurt.

Thanks to all!

Psalm 19:14-May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
_
Humble servant of Jesus Christ. Living His plan and praying to show it in name, word, body, and light.
iambrb Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
oh! Forgot to mention that there is little dents and such on the gun, so it looks like Formby's is the way to go, so off to the store I go!

_

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

655 members (007FJ, 1badf350, 160user, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 1234, 65 invisible), 2,780 guests, and 1,301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,371
Posts18,469,202
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.