Print Thread
Hop To
P
Paul39 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
In occasional batches of Acraglas I have noticed that the resin portion will get a bit cloudy, and thicker, especially toward the bottom of the container.

I am extremely careful never to let anything contaminate the two components.

Does anybody have an idea what might cause this? Does it affect the properties of the epoxy?

As expensive as epoxies are becoming, I'd hate to ruin and have to discard any.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I have had this happen as well. I don't know why. Left long enough, it almost looks like sugared honey. Shelf life used to be almost unlimited. Someone said a buzz with the microwave will fix it but I've been afraid to try. GD

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I just used some that sorta looked like what both of you described. Other than the odd appearance at first, it worked fine.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Microwave can get it too hot and ruin the epoxy, use a water bath to prevent that.

Heat generated during mixing and then curing will break down the granules in the epoxy, but they may not get mixed much.
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Paul39
In occasional batches of Acraglas I have noticed that the resin portion will get a bit cloudy, and thicker, especially toward the bottom of the container.

I am extremely careful never to let anything contaminate the two components.

Does anybody have an idea what might cause this? Does it affect the properties of the epoxy?

As expensive as epoxies are becoming, I'd hate to ruin and have to discard any.

Paul

The only thing I can think of that might cause that is the resin starts polymerizing after the jar has been opened and exposed to air and moisture. I can't see how that would do a bedding job any good.
I've not had that happen with acraglass, but I have had it happen with Devcon that comes in the large bottles after it's been opened, and then the remaining amount in the bottle sits for a long time.

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

IC B2

P
Paul39 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Thanks for the responses. I should add that this particular batch of Acraglas is only about three months old. I don't know how long it had been on the shelf, but I bought it at Sportsmans Warehouse, so I'd guess their turnover is pretty good.

I recently bought some Acraglas Gel that my gunsmith had ordered directly from Brownell's. I don't have much experience with the gel, but this batch was full of lumps.

'tis a mystery.

Paul

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
DMB

In the larger bottles of liquids such as glues/oils/stains, etc when you've used what you need, drop in some glass marbles to displace the air in the botte then seal, just be careful you don't let any marbles out when you pour again.

that'll keep the air out and not ruin whatever is in the container.

Last edited by Savage2005; 03/17/08.

NRA Life Member
P
Paul39 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
I know nothing about the chemistry involved, I'll defer to Sitka Deer about that, but I know that epoxies harden internally by a chemical process after mixing the resin and hardener. Solvent based products like most finishes dry from the outside in, when the solvents evaporate. At least that's how I understand it.

The question is, does exposure to air affect two-part epoxies in their containers? Could be, but I doubt they are as sensitive as normal finishes, so I doubt the marbles-in-the-jar would be of much help.

I'm waiting to be educated.

Paul

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
are not the components of the epozies dissolved in their own solvents/carriers to keep them liquid before mixing?

NRA Life Member
P
Paul39 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Well, the hardeners sure have a strong smell, some more than others.

Paul

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've routinely left two-part epoxies standing in pump-dispenser cans for months at a time with no adverse results other than some discoloration. Didn't matter how much air was in the cans. These were West System products, not Brownells, but I don't think there would be any significant differences in stability between the brands. My recent (last three months) buys of Brownells Acra Gel have been consistent throughout, no lumps, and no deterioration while sitting in their closed containers between uses during that period.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Epoxy lasts virtually forever. Warming it gently to dissolve the lumps will not cause any issues as long as you allow it to cool thoroughly before mixing.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
No need for the marbles, either...

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

122 members (3333vl, 44mc, 7887mm08, 308ld, 35, 12 invisible), 1,507 guests, and 865 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,749
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.