Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Dr. Howell,
<br> I'm curious as to your opinion of using a Redding turret press to load handgun ammunition? I've read that the RCBS turret has .008" of extreme flex under load, however, is it due to a poor design by RCBS or a poor design in general. Are they suitable for handgun loading? Would likely be loading .357 Magnum, 44 Magnum, .45 ACP, .45 Colt, and .454 Casull. Your take would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Matt.

NRA Life Benefactor Member
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I love Redding's turret press for loading handgun ammo. Wish I had one. Had one, briefly, for examination years ago. Of all the well made turret presses that I've looked-over, it's the strongest and stiffest -- and the heaviest. (The poorly made ones don't even play in this ball park.)
<br>Check with Redding and see whether they can still send you a copy of the piece I wrote about their turret press (in HANDLOADER) many years ago. Surely, they've kept a file copy. Maybe they can photocopy that one for you. Otherwise, track it down if you can -- look in the issues from about 1980-1983.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

#46644 01/13/02
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Dr. Howell,
<br> Thank you for the prompt and thorough answer.
<br>Regards, Matt.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
You would recommend the Redding over the Dillon? I ask because I am just beginning to reload for pistol. The guys who shoot at my club recommend Dillon. I have been happy with Redding products I have. Rifle dies mostly. Is the press you wrote of a progressive?

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have not expressed my opinion of the Dillon.

"Good enough" isn't.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Dr. Howell,
<br> If you would'nt mind, What is your opinion of the Dillon?
<br>Regards, Matt.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am not ready to express my opinion of the Dillon.
<br>LONG story.
<br>Don't ask.

"Good enough" isn't.

BW Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
pds,
<br>
<br>I just want to do my usual good job of pointing out the obvious. [Linked Image]
<br>
<br>The Dillons are for the most part progressive presses (except one new one) and turn out a completely loaded round everytime the handle is pulled.
<br>
<br>The Redding Turret press only has one ram, or shellholder, however you want to state it, and will only complete one step for one cartridge each time the handle is actuated.
<br>
<br>The only advantage a turret press has over a conventional single stage press, is the ability to mount all the needed dies on one turret, which allows the user to keep all the dies installed, and pre-set, opposed to swapping dies between operations.
<br>
<br>So I guess what I'm saying, is that your not exactly comparing apples to apples here.
<br>
<br>Either press is good. I have a Lyman Turret press, and while not as nice as the Redding, it does load accurate hunting ammo. I do wish I had bought the Redding instead though.
<br>
<br>Dillon presses enjoy a very respectable reputation. I've read lots of "which progressive press is best" threads, and if there was ever an unhappy Dillon owner, I don't remember them.
<br>
<br>If you think you'll be loading a bunch a handgun ammo, then I'd suggest the Dillon. Unless somebody has a good reason not to chose "the blue press" I can't, NOT, recommend it. (pardon my writing skills, I'm sure that sentence was all messed up [Linked Image])

Brian

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I am just starting out with handloading and have been agonizing over what press to buy. I have been looking at the rockchuker but think a turret press might be more handy since I plan on loading more than a couple calibers. What do you think? Go with a single to start or pay a few more $ (not that much more really) to get a turret. Would be interested in more than one opinion. thanks jws

BW Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
cochran,
<br>
<br>One major advantage of a single stage press, is that it really teaches the new reloader exactly what they need to know.
<br>
<br>By doing each step, over and over again, the exact reason why, and how it's done, for each step is forced into the brain by repetition.
<br>
<br>You would get that experience with a turret press, minus the learning curve of setting up the different dies each time.
<br>
<br>To be honest, my turret press sits idle a lot, while I'm busy using my ol'RockChucker from RCBS. I like to reset my dies everytime, I guess I'm just weird that way. [Linked Image]

Brian

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Don't worry about buying the wrong press. I have the first one I ever bought and still use it a lot. (RCBS JR.) The new single stage presses are all bigger and stronger then you are likely to need them to be. They will all produce top-notch ammo. I think it boils down to what color you like best.
<br>
<br>If you are close to people who are experienced and careful reloaders, you may do fine with a progressive. If you are on your own and just starting out, I recommend a single stage.
<br>
<br>If the bug bites, you will end up with more than one anyway, even if you start with a progressive. The main thing is to use what you have properly. You should invest in several loading manuals and refer to them often. It is natural to get hung up over the tools we use. They are important, but not as important as you the operator.
<br>
<br>Read Sinclair's Precision Reloading & Shooting Handbook
<br>www.sinclairintl.com
<br>
<br>Remember, the bench rest crowd assembles their ammunition with hand tools. It is the operator and the careful attention to detail that makes top quality reloads you will be able to use with confidence anywhere, any time.
<br>Good luck

Rick

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Oh, I get it now. Progressive, turent, different animials. Thanks for setting me straight. I don't know much about loading for pistols. Yet. I know rifle and shot gun loading inside and out but never thought I would have a reason to load pistol ammo..... until now.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (1minute, 1Longbow, 1badf350, 2500HD, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 62 invisible), 2,336 guests, and 1,298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,176
Posts18,503,222
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.