Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#99254 10/13/02
erich Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I need to make some repairs to the head of a Savage 99 stock only the cracks are soaked with oil. How do I remove the oil so the glue will hold or is there a glue that will displace the oil and hold securely. Any help will be apreciated.
<br>
<br>erich

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
GB1

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Erich:
<br>
<br>I assume that your going to refinish the whole buttstock. If it were me, I'd use some KR-2 Spot remover, available at most grocery stores/Hardware stores. It is an aerosol that contains a substance much like Fullers Earth. I would spreay it on the affected area and the use a heat gun to warm/heat the area up. This will draw the oil out, the KR-2 will absorb it and then you brush off with a soft brush. Repeat three or more times. Then if you still need to persue it further I would take a small container of lacquer thinner or acetone and put the affected portion of stock in the container and let it soak. This will get as much as your going to get out. Obviously, this will not do much for the finish on the rest of the stock.
<br>
<br>Sitka Deer Could probably be more help than I.
<br>

....oaklane (Mike)

"Take any advice you receive(mine included), weigh with a grain of salt(10lbs) and some common sense and you'll be fine"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Oaklane gives good advice, only thing I would add is to soak the end with thinner of some kind, then stand it in "floor-dry" inside a plastic bag. I have had great success doing this with volatile thinners that would evaporate away without dragging a lot of the old oil out, and the lighter thinners will move more oil, given the chance.
<br>
<br>I have been able to do this and not finish the whole stock, just the affected end feathered into the old.
<br>best of luck
<br>art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
erich Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the info, I'll let you know how it turns out.
<br>
<br>erich

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 11point, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 63 invisible), 2,390 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,423
Posts18,470,653
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.