Just put my daughter in for a leftover doe tag ML hunt. I have two different smokepoles to let her choose from an H&R Huntsman and an Encore Endeavor, both are .50 caliber. I'm thinking a patched round ball load will be the easiest on her out of either rifle, but I'm wondering how well they'll shoot.

Here are the rules we must play by:
Muzzle-loading rifles and smoothbore muskets, provided the minimum caliber shall be
forty (.40) for all big game except elk and moose. The minimum caliber for elk and
moose shall be fifty (.50). All muzzle-loading rifles and smoothbore muskets from forty
(.40) caliber through fifty (.50) caliber must use a bullet of at least 170 grains in weight.
All muzzle-loading rifles and smoothbore muskets greater than fifty (.50) caliber must use
bullets of at least 210 grains in weight.

a. During the muzzle-loading firearms seasons for deer, elk, pronghorn, bear, and
moose only lawful muzzle-loaders and smoothbore muskets may be used by
muzzle-loading license holders.

b. During the muzzle-loading firearm seasons for deer, elk, pronghorn, bear, and
moose the following additional restrictions apply:

1. Propellent/Powders: The use of pelletized powder systems and
smokeless powder are prohibited.

2. Projectiles: Sabots are prohibited. For the purposes of this regulation
cloth patches are not sabots.

3. Loading: Firearms must load from the muzzle. Firearms which can be
loaded from the breech are prohibited.

4. Sights: Any muzzle-loading rifle or smoothbore musket with any sighting
device other than open or “iron” sights is prohibited.

5. Electronic or battery-powered devices cannot be incorporated into or
attached to the muzzle-loading firearm.

The nice thing is if we don't connect with the ML I can turn her unfilled tag in for a regular season rifle doe tag. So if I can't find a good load for 50-60 yards we can just use ML season as scouting trips. However my daughter say's she's game to try a ML this year.