Originally Posted by William_E_Tibbe
Mike :

You deserve a respectful answer.

First and foremost, I'm a very long time hunter and enthusiast advocate of hunting.

The message is that I am personally very distressed about the lamentable decline in game decade by decade and the deplorable lack of effective enforcement to stop poaching.

There is a saying over there..."TIA"

People shrug and say "TIA" (This Is Africa). African governments are so corrupt they make Chicago Machine politics look like a gathering of devout choir boys in comparison.

You seem to equate government/politics in Africa with systems in the developed European & American world, or that is the tenor as I hear your comments.

Let me give you a "for instance" as to how so little can buy so much in African countries.

My PH was late getting me to the airport in J'burg, and the place is notoriously disorganized. I had only 40 minutes to check in with luggage and firearms and had a 2-3 hour line ahead of me. Right in front of me were some obviously wealthy and quite rude & arrogant Spaniards. They sneered at me and tossed their noses back forward.

I sized up the situation and got my remaining roll of twenty dollar bills out. I saw a black man in a dark blue blazer with Airport credential placards pinned on. I caught his eye and he came over. I handed him a twenty and pointed to the front of my first line...to get my boarding pass...

He saw I had a gun case and small suitcase. He summoned a younger man over, said something to him, and in just a few minutes I was in a wheelchair headed to the front of the line. I gave them each another twenty as my pass was handed down to me. Their eyes smiled wide, then they wheeled me to the security checkpoint. I produced another twenty, which the security person slipped into a back pocket and was wheeled around all detectors and toward my plane's boarding area after my gun case was tagged along with my suitcase for through service to Atlanta.

In all it took me $80.00 and twenty minutes to get on the plane and into a primo exit isle seat.

Now you know why the more exotic and rare game in Africa is in for rough times ahead.

T I A

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”