Thank you, everyone, for your input thus far!

I don't have any 4320. I'd actually wondered if it would be recommended. It was the only powder I can remember my father using. He also often complained about the small bore getting fouled quickly. I suspected the two were connected. I can get my hands on some.

I don't have any Big Game, either, and I would have guessed it would be to slow. Can't argue with results though. Hodgdon doesn't list 4320 in its online data either, and that seems to be a popular choice! I do have Varget, and Benchmark. And 2495, Tac, 322 and several others in the appropriate burn range. Had planned on starting with the 25's, and it looks like Varget and 2495. Will load these up this morning. If they don't show promise, I'll get back some 4320 that was given away.

I'm not after screaming speed, and I don't want to put a lot of wear and tear on the bore. I DO want to see 25gr bullets at 4 grand though, and I'm excited to shoot this rifle. As I said, it was one of my dad's favorites. He had two 17 Rems over the years, and he held onto this one. I don't know his reasoning, but I will say that the rifle is one of the loveliest 700's I've ever seen, with the scrollwork action and handsome, well finished wood. The trigger is adjusted to what feels to be about a pound and a half. I've got a scale around here somewhere. I've got a bit of a crush on the rifle, that deepens every time I handle it. Have seriously begun to doubt parting with it. It would be regrettable later, I suspect.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.