I've traveled to Africa with hundreds of rounds, everything I could take up to the legal 5-kilo (11 pound) limit, and never had a problem.

However, when my wife and I went to South Africa in 2008, she had to leave earlier than I did, as I was committed to spending a month. There were some other Americans who left along with her, and the local airline flying them from Port Elizabeth to Joburg required that the ammo be in the rifle case, while Delta in Joburg required ammo to be in other luggage. Trouble was they never saw their other luggage in Joburg, just the rifle cases, so couldn't make the switch.

This meant they'd have to go buy another piece of luggage in one of the airport shops, just for the ammo, which also meant giving up their place in a very long line when time was short. Eileen just handed them her leftover .308 ammo and said, "Here, it's yours." They didn't want to take it, but eventually did. The other people did the same thing.

When she got home, she e-mailed me telling what happened. The rest of us just put our ammo in our luggage when flying out of PE, and nobody checked the luggage there. If they had, we'd have said, "Here, take it."

Have also flown with people into Canada who had their handloads packed in factory cardboard boxes that weren't for their rounds. Nobody said a thing.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck