Ammo packing can be a bit tricky in international travel because rules vary. In the U. S. you can put your ammo in your rifle case, but that is not permitted most other places I've been. I believe that plastic cases which separate the individual cartridges are acceptable everywhere I've been.

Earlier this month I hunted in the Eastern Cape. Flying South African Air from Johannesburg to Port Elizabeth (and on the return), we had to take our ammo out of our luggage and check it separately in a locked case. Two years ago in the same situation, I could leave my ammo in my luggage going to Port Elizabeth, but had to check it separately on the return. I don't know how to explain that except by the saying, "This is Africa." I think it is best to be prepared. My booking agent alerted me to this on my first trip, so I was ready.

I packed my ammo in plastic boxes and then in a Plano pistol case that could be locked. It was good enough for the airline. I cut some other foam I had just to preserve the original. Here's the way the ammo was packed:

[Linked Image]

When we left Port Elizabeth, we only checked our bags to Johannesburg. After recovering our rifles and ammo at the proper place in the airport there, we put the ammo cases in our luggage for the flight on to Atlanta and beyond.

Last edited by WoodsyAl; 06/30/15.

Al

Spend your life wisely.