The rules specify "original factory container", idea being that each round of ammo is separate from the other. Unfortunately, there are those working for the airline that don't understand this, and can make your life miserable....if they want to.
I bought some of the 20 round plastic containers (they are original, and from the factory)javascript:%20void(0) and didn't have a problem. I was told that they usually don't look at your ammo....not my luck!!! But the guy I checked in with told me that the week before he had some shmuck try and check his rifles and had his ammo loose in a plastic baggie! shocked
Anyway, while you should be perfectly fine with a 50 rd box (as long as you are under the weight limit), I would personally just try and find 3 empty 308 ammo boxes at the range and fill them with your ammo.
Another thing that they have trouble with is kg vs lbs....it's 5 kgor 11lbs of ammo, but for some reason some folks will argue that you are only allowed 5 lbs....so do yourself a favor and when they ask you how much it weights, just tell 'em 3llbs.

"If you dog thinks you're the greatest, don't go seeking a second opinion!"