The 7mm RM is an excellent cartridge for elk. With many loads recoil is similar to a .30-06 but it can shoot a little flatter and deliver more retained velocity and energy to the target. My first centerfire was a 7mm RM back in 1982 and it was my elk rifle for the next 20+ years. I lost my first elk with it last year but that was due to poor placement rather than the cartridge or bullet. Most of the elk I’ve taken with the 7mm RM have gone straight down or taken only a few steps, with the notable exception of two cows that made it about 40 yards and the cow I lost last year due to poor placement (a failure on my fault, not the bullet or cartridge).

Because of the bullet velocity, I prefer premium bullets in my 7mm RM. In general order of preference:
1. 160g North Fork SS, 150g Barnes TTSX, 160g Trophy Bonded Tip (Federal)
2. 160g Nosler AccuBond, 160g Nosler Partition, 160g Speer Grand Slam
3. Cup-and-core bullets (Remington Core-lokt, Winchester Power Point, Nosler Ballistic Tip, etc.)

Full disclosure – I’ve not used all the bullets llisted above in my 7mm RM, but either use them in other rifles or have seen first-hand what they can do. Specifically, I’ve used only 120g and 140g Barnes TTSX in my 7mm RM but use other weights (100g to 180g) in rifles from my .257 Roberts to my .300 WM. My hunting buddy of many years used Trophy Bonded (pre-tip) for several years before going back to 160g Speer Grand Slams, which I used for 20+ years. I use Nosler AccuBonds in several calibers and weights, including my .280 Rem, but not in my 7mm RM. Finally, although Federal Premium 160g Nosler Partition loads were my backup ammunition for many years, I’ve never shot one in any weight or caliber at game and am relying on the results I’ve seen others achieve with them.

In spite of my preferences to the contrary, standard cup-and-core bullets will work fine most of the time. If Remington Cor-Lokt, Winchester Power-Point or whatever shoot well in your rifle, use them with confidence. Chances are you won’t see any difference when it comes to animals on the ground. My only suggestion there would be to stick with 160g or 175g bullet weights for the 7mm RM.

My favorite bullet for elk is the North Fork, which I use in my .280 Rem (140g), 7mm RM (160g), .308 Win and various .30-06 rifles (165g), .300WM (180g) and .45-70 (350g). Just ordered some more .308” 165g and 180g two days ago and plan to load the 165’s for Daughter #1’s .308 Win for her first elk hunt.

My plan this year is to take my new .280 Rem elk hunting. My bullet choice will be either a 140g North Fork SS or a 140g Barnes TTSX, probably the former. If I was taking my 7mmm RM it would be the 160g North Fork.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.