Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I've never owned or even shot one but from what I've read, it's fairly easy to shoot out a barrel in one. That's common with most hot calibers smaller than 30 cal. They generate a lot of heat and shooting a lot of hot loads can seriously overheat one. Of course it can be done with larger cals, too, but it's easier with smaller ones.

That said, the 7mm is famous for being an excellent elk round.

If you want to burn a barrel, take about any centerfire rifle and shoot 100 rounds through it as fast as you can. My 7mm RM was made in 1982 and was my only bolt-action big game rifle for 20+ years and remains one of my most used. It has been used for everything from range practice to prairie dogs, coyotes, antelope, deer and elk. Based on the number of primers I purchased over the years, it has at least 2,500 rounds through it and is still a very accurate rifle. That said, I’ve always been careful not to heat the barrel up. Even at the range it was rare for me to go 5 rounds at a time. Most often 3 rounds was the maximum before allowing the barrel to cool. I expect the barrel will last longer than I will.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.