For many years my 300 H&H was my only big game rifle. My first one was a Remington 721 that was one of the most accurate rifles I've ever owned. I shot a lot of deer and several elk with it. coming into a small windfall and longing for a left handed version, I had Remingtons Custom Shop chamber one of their left handed KS Mountain Rifles in 300 H&H. It has been every bit as accurate as the 721 and has piled up a lot of deer and elk.

Since moving to Alaska, it has one caribou to it's credit. My current affair with the 35 and 400 Whelen has it benched most of the time. I have a goat hunt coming up next month and I was thinking of taking the 400 but now I'm wavering and may drag out the 300 H&H. It's a lot lighter than the 400 so it may get the nod.

I wouldn't shorten the barrel any. I've never felt hampered by a 24 or 26 inch barrel. I'd leave it 26 inches.

I ran a lot of 165 and 180 grain Partitions through mine for deer and elk. They are great bullets and I never had a failure. I found a great deal on a bunch of 220 grain Partitions shortly after moving up here and have been loading them in the 300. The one caribou taken with them was mightily impressed. You could look far and wide and have a tough time coming up with a better combination than the 300 H&H and a 180 grain Nosler Partition.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.