southern hunter;
Good afternoon to you sir, I hope the week has treated you acceptably and this finds you well.

The second thread from the top here "Planning a Hunt in Canada" has all sorts of links - including links to Alberta government sites - that should answer a few of your questions regarding what hurdles you'll need to leap for bringing up a shotgun, hunting waterfowl as a non-resident, etc.

One thing to be aware of is that waterfowl fall under federal regulation up here, so besides a provincial hunting licence there'll be a federal hunting equivalent you'll need to pick up too.

Going off of a very foggy memory I can't recall how much bush is around Stettler so the population of moose/elk are unknown to me - sorry.

I'm not certain if they're in a goose flyway or not there either, but I do know from talking to my brother who's still on the farm back in Saskatchewan that they're pretty happy to see goose hunters come and shoot all the "winged rats" that they can carry.

Anyway sir, hopefully some of our Alberta members might be able to shed a bit more local light on the matter, but hopefully some of the sites will get you lined out and pointed in the right direction for now.

All the best to you this summer and good luck to your New Zealand friends in their new Canadian home as well.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"