Originally Posted by bobnob17
6.5 Grendel loaded to bolt action pressures with 123 grainers.

In terms of big game I agree whole heartedly with the very efficient Grendel in a bolt action despite not having one yet.

Six mm Remington is nothing to sneeze at either with a wide range of bullets. The Six MM Rem has been my favorite rifle for the majority of my hunting life 100 grain BTHP stand out in my mind.
When thinking of varmints I may think of terms of a 17 hornet up to 25 grains inside of 200 yards. Truth be told I prefer the 17 Fireball with 25 and or 30 grain hollow points. Either one pack way more punch than you think they should. With the velocity those little 17's produce the wind drift can be very manageable.

Spent a quit a few years primarily interested in archery hunting. Still work in that school of thought a lot. What I mean by that is the hunting sport for me is a whole lot less about how far a shot I can make. No for me Hunting is more about how close I can present the opportunity for the shot.

Depending on the game you are after and the terrane you are hunting the definition of close can vary widely.

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control

& Proverbs 21:19