3584ELK: My collection of Model 70 Winchesters have ALL appreciated since I originally purchased/invested in them!
I began collecting various types of Winchesters back in 1967'ish.
I did make a conscious decision to sell off most of my Winchester pre-64 lever guns and pre-64 rimfire Winchesters to concentrate more on pre-64 Model 70's - I made this decision about 20 years ago.
I have been happy with that decision.
Visualizing your retiring in 16 years or so I think any QUALITY pre-64 Model 70 Winchester you bought today (or in the near future) would certainly appreciate in value by the time you retire.
There are MANY other reasons to collect old Winchesters just a few of them are: pride of ownership, fun thing to do, a safe investment, agreat and popular hobby and for the appreciation in value.
I don't see the collector interest in pre-64 Winchester Model 70's subsiding any time soon.
IF... I were to be starting out on a venture of gun collecting for fun and for PROFIT today - then I would be VERY tempted to collect only Smith & Wesson revolvers from the 60's, 70's and early 80's!
These guns have been appreciating at a very strong pace over the last few years - and there are LOTS of them lurking around in peoples dresser drawers for the "picking".
Best of luck to you with whichever way you decide to go.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy