Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Pioneer Day marks the day in 1847 the Mormons arrived in what would become Salt Lake City. (They conveniently forget that there were Catholic missions here before that.) Anyway, the entire state is closed today, there are huge parades in which every Mormon ward, stakehouse, temple, chapel, and Boy Scout troop have floats. There are huge rodeos as well. This is also the July day when more fireworks are sold and lighted than even the Fourth.

I don't know of any other state that so officially honors a single religion. Is there?

Rocky,

You've shared an interesting observation, that a lot of folks probably didn't know about.

My take is that it has become an historic celebration over time, rather than a religious one, although I am sure there is plenty of prayer and religion.

For many years, for most Utahans history and religion were bound together, and many worked hard to keep it that way grin

Now days, I understand that SLC is only 50% LDS, although I am sure it is much higher in most of the rest of the state.

When Coal was King, I am sure Price, in Carbon County, was less than 50%. Maybe Bingham Canyon as well.

Time changes things, but it is good to hang on to some of the old as well.

Have you read the book "Proper Edge of the Sky"?

Highly recommend for anyone remotely interested in Utah, southern Utah, or rural Utah.

For the rest of you, I deeply apologize if my post has slowed or stopped the sectarian strife, that was not my intent. blush

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....