Gnoahhh: I make no claims to being smart so please give me a hint as to where/who are the sources that make proper .228 bullets available. I have a Savage 1899 in Sav 22 Hi Pwr. The serial number says production would have been in 1917. The barrel in in good shape with the slow 1 in 12 twist. A chamber cast shows no real throat with 0.2315 grooves and 0.2275 lands immediately ahead of the throat (about an inch plus). The bore slugged 0.221 and 0.227 being noticeably tighter at the muzzle. Measuring lands at the muzzle shows 0.2232 (intersection with tapered plug). It is wearing the original sights so the best I can say is that factory ammo and handloads with .224 bullets shoot about the same. The Hornady bullets shoot about the same with the point removed with a pocket knife (that tracks with my experience that damage to the point is not nearly as important as damage to the base at short range). The receiver has been drilled and tapped for scope mounts but I have been noticeably unsuccessful at finding any that fit. Being as I am in the latter part of my eighth decade here I will post a more intelligible post on accuracy with different bullets at later date when I can see the sights and target a little better.

Last edited by John_L; 07/25/15. Reason: poor spelling and typing that changes the meaning