Originally Posted by conrad101st
Velvet smacks of hunting out of season. I don't care if he paid $500k for his candyass tag that the governor splooged on to hunt with 12 guides, 2 helicopters, 30 beaters and a wet nurse. It's hunting out of season and isn't a fair hunt done in the wilderness under fair conditions. It's just a hand job for a rich pussie.

None of this happened in this hunt as I know the parties involved. THis bull was found by legwork of a couple of guys. They did babysit him for a few days though.

As for velvet, you can't shoot a buck in our early archery season that doesn't have velvet. I am surprised that this bull was still in velvet myself. Two years ago I watched three bulls within 10 miles of this bull strip their velvet on July 14th.

I think it is unfair to characterize a velvet animal as being poached. Unless I am mistaken, you can start hunting Sitka blacktails in July as well. They will certainly be in velvet.

For those who haven't done it, summer bucks and bulls are the very best eating-far better than a rutting bull or fall buck.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.