New guys on the river go for the HP, After you hit floating logs, stumps and piles of branches floating down steam you realize you only need enough to get you comfortably going against the current.

I too had a lot of HP on my first Hewescraft boat. Found that once I " grew up" and realized that the amount of fuel it sucked up as well as the danger of hitting floating debris in the river at high speed, normal HP that gets you to mid 30's or low 40's MPH is plenty.

My buddy in Florida can go 90 in his boat. On the flats there is minimal debris and the water is often mirror smooth. It scares the hell out of me. If you open your mouth at 60 plus the air will inflate your cheeks!

In Ca, I have not seen many guys trying to fish fast moving rivers that go for miles inland. They are typically always in the salt, or with their boat in the river. I'm not sure they have the dual purpose needs? I think thats why the PNW folks do the aluminum. Many guys fish both 100-300 mile long rivers ( columbia for example) and then they do the sea as well although not typically out in the deep blue miles from shore.

In Alaska we always had Aluminum because we could beach the boats in the sand along the shore. Fiberglass does not play well beaching on sand and gravel.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)