Some credit to yondering, when you are right you are right.
I took out two cast bullets to fire today.
first one was a 375winchester Lyman mould 375248 at 249grain.
It cast right about that so it was close to lyman no two allow.
I fired this in a marlin several months ago using 23grains of 2400, velocity was right around 1900 fps. Today i used 21.6grains, velocity around 1850fps. First time was a lyman lube, today i had the bullets sprayed with vht red spray paint. I do think it was cleaner, as the barrel is ported. Some months ago got a bunch of powder and debri around the ports, today nothing. I wish i could have recoved the bullet, it went through nine milk jugs and a piece of plywood and kept on going. But there was some mild leading that easily came out. Not totally satisfied, wish i could have found bullet.

The we come to the 44magnum 310grain lee bullet. I powder coated these with the yellow green yonder recommended. I wish i had that part down a little better. However I have a
lyman no 48reloading guide, calling for 2400 on a 300 grain bullet, and minimum of 14grains at 857fps, and max of 15.7 at 1001fps. I loaded some at 15.4grains. was using a thompson contender with ten inch barrel, and a s&w model 29 4inch. I loaded these bullets both with gas checks and no gas checks. It didn't seem to make any difference. The thompson was running faster than the smith, barrel difference. I checked the barrel after firing a number, pretty clean. Later when i officially cleaned the pistol no leading, and very little fowling, extremely easy to clean. needless to say with the ten inch barrel i was getting an easy 200fps over the smith.
the smith ran the same bullets, gas check and no gas check, average velocities right around 1000fps. In the field it looked clean. I fired after these some 44special swaged lead and cast lead and it did lead up at that point as i expected. Below is the gas check bullet as fired through the smith and wesson at around 1000fps. I was pretty hapy with it. It also penetrated nine filled milk jugs and bounced off the plywood backstop. The first three jugs just exploded. The others were ripped until you just got wholes at the rear of the chain. I would hate to get hit with one of these pills. I think it would go through most everything [Linked Image]

Last edited by RoninPhx; 08/06/15.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO