Originally Posted by krp
Slik sprint pro, about a hundred bucks, I run a velbon 157q head for another 50.00, the slik head would work.

Kent

I second the Slik sprint pro for an ultralight compact tripod. Obviously it's a little more wobbly in the wind compared to a heavier tripod, but a good option.

The biggest attribute to a glassing tripod is adjustable leg angles so you can sit under it. Stay away from a tripod that has the leg brace. From there there are all kinds of choices to be made. Carbon or aluminum? 3 leg sections or four? You can go as expensive as you like. For the most part, tripods branded by optics companies are more expensive than the exact same model made by the tripod company. Swarovski and Manfrotto for example. You don't have to buy a $500 tripod to be effective. Sunpak makes a carbon fiber tripod with a pistol grip head for approx $100. $150 at Bestbuy. The cheaper tripods might not stay as tight or last as long but if you're on a budget you can definitely get by with one. Sportsmans has a good selection or go to a decent photography shop and check different brands out then go online and find a good deal.

"I used to be a tired hunting guide, now I'm just a re-tired hunting guide"

"No eternal reward will forgive us now, for wasting the dawn" JM

Jared