Hi Pete,

I haven't fished for brown trout specifically with lures, but I have used lures for grayling and rainbows. I like the Mepps Black Fury 00 for grayling as they seem to like most things black. The 00 is harder to find, but it seemed to work better for me than the 0 size. Harder to cast though.

I'm not sure what kind of lure selections you have over there, but I also like the tiny Len Thompson "Platinum" series spoons in a half silver/half blue color. Rooster tails are another one that works well, and they have some models that already have singles instead of trebles.

As to replacing existing trebles with singles, I would just look for singles that are the same size. I think it might be Mepps that you can slide the body up the shaft and the loop that the hook goes on opens up? I could be wrong but I seem to recall that. It makes changing the hook easier and no split rings needed.

SS

"To be glad of life because it gives you a chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars. To be satisfied with your possessions but not content with yourself until you have made the best of them."
-Henry Van Dyke