Originally Posted by SargeMO
Having grown up in the 60's, I enjoyed Skelton the most. Askins, like him or not, was a gem in his own right. Ross Seyfried has always written well and Brian Pearce has done a lot of good stuff. Mike Cumpston never fails to pen a good article.

Admittedly, I quit subscribing to gun rags 16 years ago and rarely buy one off the rack anymore. The tactical drivel and non-shooting reviews finally wore me out.

That is where I am. I got F&S dirt cheap and the hunting and fishing stuff is inane. I like the rag for the recipes in most issues. Handloader went to pot and so many others.
Long ago work was done for information and Ken Waters was best. Today writers work to satisfy advertisers.
Look at tests done now, $1500 scopes and $3000 or more rifles. Turn the page! Most of us will starve or sell the house to have one. An old beater savage can out shoot them.
There were good writers back then. Some are still kicking but after WHAT THEY WRITE WILL BE A FULL PAGE ADD FOR WHAT THEY USED. I could do with a $96 Ruger flat top and do not need a $4000 custom revolver.