Originally Posted by akmtnrunner
Academic question regarding sectional density.

Given the same bullet construction and weight, would you rather have a smaller caliber (and higher SD) or larger caliber (and lower SD) on big game?

Here's my situation. I'm deciding on what rifle/cartridge to get my recoil sensitive wife for a caribou hunt. It would be a major plus if the same load was appropriate for moose however it needs to be soft shooting so she can comfortably practice a lot with it. I've boiled it down to one of the 6.5's (swede, cm, or rem), 7mm-08 or a plain jane 308. I'm looking at loads of 140 grains in the 6.5, 150 in the 7, 150 in the 308. I reload.

I've been reading a lot about the 6.5's lately and their great SD advantages but I'm trying to weigh that against the conventional wisdom towards a 30 caliber. If I am going to be loading any of these cartridges in the 140-150 grain area to about 2700 fps, am I correct to lean more towards the 6.5 for higher SD and likely deeper penetration?

Thanks

Easy question to answer;

Back many years ago when I was a young Guy I booked a Canadian moose hunt with my 25-06 because I was inexperienced, poor boy , and short of cash as well as experience and knowledge. My guide told me that I was seriously under gunned. None the less I was a very accomplished marksman and spined my moose that dropped in his tracks.

Later, as I gained experience and knowledge I escalated my repertoire to .30 caliber and .338 calibers of medium and big North American Game and minimum African compliance legal .375
and bigger.

Sectional density is perhaps pertinent but at the same time relatively immaterial to rifle, bullet performance. To whit:

#1. I really like the 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser which I own. A unique cartridge well seen in good esteem.

#2. However, for your wife's application I have to go with minimum .30 caliber such as .30-06 Springfield for Moose and caribou as well as mule deer and white tails and antelope.

For bench rest practice you can always significantly down load to attenuate recoil bench rest shooting to proof loads and sight in.

Some of my heavier calibers kick the snot out of me - OUCH!!! I developed some counter measures such as a Past shield strap on and some hokey lumber inventions that are too embarrassing to describe here but detailed/included shotgun lead shot bags to soak up the recoil.

I have universally found that whatever recoil backlash/kicks I have suffered on the bench at the range mysteriously disappear when I am in the field shooting real animals.