Originally Posted by Calhoun
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by Calhoun
But when fresh water in an iceberg is floating on sea water, it displaces just as much sea water as it will displace once it melts.

Except for the part above the surface of the sea.
Geno

Actually I'm wrong and Steelhead is right (no shocker there). I knew I was missing something.

A freshwater iceberg will displace the equivalent mass of seawater when floating - but when the iceberg melts the volume of the water in the iceberg is added to the volume of the seawater - so it ends up in a net sea level rise.

Mass versus mass for displacement with solid masses and water, but volume plus volume for water added to water. Since seawater is denser than fresh water, the iceberg displaces less seawater than equivalent volumes of freshwater and seawater would make up.

Never doubt a coastie when he talks water. grin
Here's an easy way to visualize it. You have a 10 gal block of ice floating in the sea. 9 gal of it are below the surface and 1 gal is above. When the block melts, it becomes more dense and the 10 gal of ice is now the size of 9 gal of sea water - which exactly fills the hole in the water made by the block of ice.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.