All's well that ends well they say. The gun shoots fine and cycles fine although there is some rust I can't quite get out and the trigger is a creey 5#. I finished fitting up the new Ballard style stock (I still need to cut it to length and fit a recoil pad and apply the finish) for it and took it to the range after installing the Williams TK receiver sight:
[Linked Image]

I shot a few shots off-hand at 25m to get it on paper then went to the bench at 100yds. The front sight is too short so with the receiver sight just barely clearing the receiver I am hitting about 8" above POA. It also has a bead which I don't like; I have never been able to get a sight picture that allowed for the hold I like. I prefer a blade and that is what I will replace it with since I prefer a 6 o'clock hold. Center holds work best for me with a bead front. Using a center hold I a five shot group, made a sight adjustment and figured out I needed a taller front sight. You can see them above the paper:
[Linked Image]

I switched to a 6 o'clock hold and shot three more (same three as on the square target but I had the reduced 600yds target pasted over it):
[Linked Image]