One thing I forgot to add in the event any of you ever try a .30-30 Improved (or any improved for that matter). Sizing sharp shouldered cases can be an issue and with a sizing die you can can give the shoulder a slight bulge that prevents chambering. I figured that out when I started with the .280 Improved when I was about 18. So, I just barely bump them and measure shoulder junction diameter as I make each die adjustment. The issue that was new for me was collapsing shoulders when seating bullets. The .30-30 brass is very thin and when I was setting up my dies and making a dummy or three I started collapsing shoulders which caused the shoulder/body junction to bulge up to .025" or so.

If you ever run into this get either a Lyman M die or Lee Expander and just bell about 1/16" of the neck. You will likely only get .001" of constriction/tension after you do this so you will need some sort of crimp die. I am using a Lee Factory Crimp to just barely touch the portion of the neck that got expanded by the M die.